Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
treehstn

Injured American Robin fledgling

treehstn    1

This is a first for me and I'm not sure what I should do.  Yesterday there was a fledgling Robin on my back deck.  I took some video of it.  I wasn't sure if it was just trying to learn to fly or if it was injured.  I took some video of it and will put it on youtube.  It flew up off our deck onto the garage roof and from there flew into a tree in our yard.  At this point I thought it was probably just new out of the nest and not a confident flier yet.

Today we hear quite a ruckus under a large tree in the alley on the other side of our garage.  Turned out it was several adult Steller's Jays squawking at a tabby cat under the tree that had the very same fledgling that it was trying to kill!  I was able to get the cat to leave and caught the fledgling.  It looked like more like it was actually injured this time.  It does fly or at least tries to but it has a broken leg.  

I don't mind trying to nurse it and try to raise it but I'm not sure what the best thing to do is?  Rescue group?

I'll post the video here when I get it loaded on youtube.

treehstn    1

The Robin is eating worms that are offered in a bowl and is eating stuff off of the ground in the dirt.  Hubbie left the door to the kennel open so it could try to take off with the parents if it was able.  It will fly from the deck to the lower branches of a tree in the yard but then ends up back down on the ground again.  It got caught up in the branches in the tree and he untangled it.  While he was holding it I tried to check better for injuries.  It looks like one leg is injured but no blood or open wound on it and it is hopping and standing on it.  There is a wound on the side under one of the wings that is about the size of a dime.  There are almost no feathers under the wings along it's sides.  Looks like all baby feathers on the back.  Seems like full flight feathers on the wings and the tail but not all the tail feathers are there either.

Still not sure if we should let nature take it's course or try to assist.  The parents are certainly in the area and are trying to encourage it by calling to it.

Harrier    0

I must admit, when I read about the tiny wound in his wing just now I knew he would never heal. Cat saliva is full of bacteria, and even a nick can essentially poison a bird. That's one of the reasons why outdoor cats are so awful for birds. I'm glad that you did what you could, and sorry that you lost him. Hopefully the rest of his family made it out OK.

treehstn    1

Harrier... thanks for the kind words.  The wound was actually in his side under and behind his wing a little bit.  It looked like it might have already been trying to heal so I'm not sure that the cat I found it with had done the initial damage.

The good that came out of it though was finding a local rescue group.  They did return my call but the baby was already gone.  They said they have a good network of people in our area to take all sorts of wildlife that is injured.  Now I know there is someone to call!

Elliot    0

When the mother abandoned him she probably knew he would not make it for more than a day or two.  Sometimes it best to let nature do its job.