Whatbird Community Board
wildfelco

What is your 3 Best Lifers?

hey guys, so im wondering that is the best Lifer you have gotten? i understand that sometimes its hard to just to point out one Lifer. So  what is you 3 best lifers? 

So i cant really say which one is my top lifers. on the my field guide it say Redish Egret is rare. But i know Blackpoll warbler and black and white warbler is a another rare visiter to western US. So these are my top Lifers i believe

1.Redish egret

2.Black and white warbler

3.Blackpoll warbler 

Share your Lifers!!!  

do you mean best by how rare they are?  or just our favorites?  i don't have any rare ones, but the one that gave me the biggest thrill was a bald eagle. after that they are all tied for 2nd place :)

• Like 2

Number 1 is easy - the Mangrove Cuckoo that was hanging around behind my house for several weeks last fall.  This was the first time one had been reported above 1000 meters ASL; I live at about 2300.  My sighting was reported in North American Birds.

As for the other two, I guess off the top of my head I'd have to say number two is the Wine-throated Hummingbird we saw at the Christmas Bird Count last year; it's just such an amazing little hummer, with an unbelievable gorget and tiny bill, and you can only see it in the mountains. 

Number three?  Hmmm...I'm tempted to say (don't laugh) House Sparrow because it was my first real independent ID, accomplished after hours with the field guides and finally realizing that field marks look very different at different angles.  I'm also tempted to say Eastern Bluebird, since that was the one I first noticed when I started staring out windows after my cataract surgery in 2009; it was the bird that made me a birdwatcher.  Or maybe Magnificent Hummingbird, since it literally took me weeks to finally get the ID and learn to see the marks myself.  Or maybe Melodious Blackbird, because everyone from you guys to my sister tried to convince me it was something more boring, but I stuck to my instincts.  Or Blue and White Mockingbird, because my ID was seriously derailed when I decided at a glance that it was some kind of Jay, and almost didn't get the ID until I realized it was not as large as I though from looking at it through the binoculars.  Or maybe Inca Dove, because I was the first to see it on the Christmas Bird Count, and I think it was the first species I was ever able to identify immediately by sight without consulting my field guides.  Or maybe I'll just go with Gray Silky-flycatcher, because they are cool little birds and I am lucky enough be seeing them constantly around my house for the past week.

I guess I'll get back to you on number three!

Helen

icon-quote.gif
wildfelco:
well for me its i based it on Rare, But i do have some fav best birds too. But either way the best lifers you think you got...

LOL If you made it through my rambling post you'll see I took it a bit differently!

Helen

for me, it wasn't about rarity, but the entire experience.

1.  Bald Eagle soaring over the Delaware River while I was fishing (caught a Striper!)

2.  Piliated woodpecker while hiking in the Daniel Boone Forest in Kentucky

3. Roseate Spoonbill while birding after the Space Coast Bird Show near Cape Canaveral

Bald Eagle - first time I saw him I almost ran off the road. Since then, I've seen him, his mate and their fledglings

Plieated woodpecker - only seen one 3 times

Clapper rail - pretty rare for our area - must have been blown inland by a storm

My favorites are also about the whole experience.

#1..... most exotic..... Hoatzin while being silently paddled through the the flooded forest of the Amazon in a native-style canoe.

#2..... Mountain Bluebirds during a marvelous day's drive through eastern San Luis Obispo CA county.  They were right were Kozmik said they'd be.

#3..... Pigeon Guillemot while on the Port San Luis CA pier; I watched him paddle, dive, feed, fly.......  I also had a couple delicious fish tacos.

• Like 1

For me, number one is the Eastern Bluebird.  Their numbers were down for years but they've been making a comeback because of the efforts of many people creating bluebird trails and working hard to keep the HOSP populatioin down.  This is the first year I've seen one in my life.

Second would be the baltimore oriole- first time for me this year.

Third would probably be the pileated woodpecker.  I've always heard him in the woods, but never saw him until this year at my neighbors suet feeder.

But then there is the white crowned sparrow, I think he looks like he's wearing a black and white bicycle helmet! cute :)  oops 4 :)

So, I'm not the only one who thinks that about the white-crowned sparrow.  Except we call them zebra heads. 

1. Northern Shrike-rarity, for me any ways

2.  Common Yellowthroat- came by for a bath, with his mate standing by.  What a cute, cute fellow!!  Never saw it again.

3. Bald Eagle- flying overhead while we were in the van.  Took my breath away.  Never got a picture, but that's ok. 

1. The beautiful, graceful Swallow-Tailed Kite I saw soaring over my yard a few days ago.

2. Pileated Woodpecker in my neighbor's pine tree.

3. Eastern Bluebird, I guess. We had quite a few around last spring and that was the first time I'd ever seen them. I loved watching them. This year I've only seen one.

Tough, so I'm going to do two lists: rarity and of favorite birds.

Rare:

1. Eurasian Wigeon (NJ)

2. Great Grey Owl (MI)

3. Boreal Owl (MI)

Favorite unusual birds:

Northern Shrike

Boreal Chickadee

Northern Saw-whet Owl 

And, there's more common birds!

Rough-legged Hawk

Clay-colored Sparrow

Winter Wren

I just did three lists, didn't I? Anyway, I love all birds, but these are all great too! And trying to pick 3 from 330 birds is a nightmare. 

1. Reddish Egret - Jacksonville, Florida

2. Black-Bellied Whistling Duck - Augusta, GA

3. Swallow-Tailed Kite - Hephzibah, GA 

• Like 1

being mostly a backyard birder my joy is seeing the Lewis's woodpeckers bring their fledglings to my feeders each spring.. the the swarm of baby tanagers and orioles that learn to eat and drink each year while i am sitting at the window watching. and the evening grosbeaks watching over the little ones as they grow from little babes to full size birds in a matter of weeks.

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (because I saw it here in East San Diego County)

Vermillion Flycatcher (saw it about a mile from home)

California Gnatcatcher (because others covet it, I see it all the time)

Tough Question!!  I'll go with these.

1. Whooping crane

2. Tufted Puffin

3. Roseate Spoonbill

I like the way Harrier did their list...

Memorable experience:

1. Sharp-shinned Hawk (found one eating a bird in my tree in the back yard)
2. Great Horned Owl (was under the branches in a large conifer and unseen by me it was on a branch.  Flew out of there and brushed my head with a wing!)
3. Chestnut Backed Chickadee (had several feeding from my hand in my yard)

Love to see the most:

1. Bald Eagle
2. Pileated Woodpecker
3. Cedar Waxwing
4. Evening Grosbeak

Not seen in person YET:

1. Northern Cardinal
2. Bluejay
3. Eastern Bluebird

I'd say these are my favorite:

1. Rock Sandpiper

2. Marbled Godwit

3. Mountain Bluebird

I wish I could get any curlew. It would replace one of those three for sure.

Wow, this is hard. I would have to break it up into a couple of lists. Notice that 10 days in Costa Rica accounts for over half of my birding highlights:

Brightest-

1- Respendant Quetzal

2- Scarlet Macaw

3- Painted Bunting

4- Violet Sabrewing

5- Golden-browed Chlorophonia 

Coolest-

1- Blue-crowned/Rufous/Turquoise-crowned Motmot

2- Common Potoo

3- Northern Gannet

4- Snail Kite

Rarest- 

1- Fork-tailed Flycatcher

2- Ruff

3- Barnacle Goose  

A lot of you folks are cheating.  TOP THREE LIFERS!  Make a choice folks.  Oh crap, now I have to make a choice.

Okay, since every bird I have seen was a lifer one time or another, I'm going to take ones that I was either longing for at the time, or that just blew me out of the water because of how cool they were.

Least bittern:  because it was so cool, and because I called it in to within reach of my kayak paddle where it continue to call. (It was also #300)

Roseate spoonbill:  because it was my most wanted bird on my trip to florida and when it arrived it was an adult in full colour flying down Lettuce Lake, and my daughter who thinks I'm a bird geek said, "Ohhhhawwwhhh  holy shi@#, look at that."

Winter wren:  because the first time I saw one (100 years ago), I spent 20 minutes listening to this insane song and looking everywhere for it until I finally found it on the ground in front of me.