Whatbird Community Board
Sign in to follow this  
cairnstone

Leucistic birds

I thought there was a thread on here dealing with leucistic birds. I could not find one though.

I have never seen a leucistic bird before until this afternoon. And what a humdinger it was.

I was gardening in my front yard and came into the house for a refreshment and looked out the back window.

This is what I saw. An unusual robin to say the least.

Today. Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

post-6806-2077889672_thumb.jpg

I think usually we've added abberant birds in the "That's Odd" thread.

That's quite a striking robin! Nice shot, Cairnstone.

Here's my contribution. Also a leucistic Robin. Only leucistic bird I've seen. North Carolina, 2009.

post-10000--1641651624_thumb.jpg

Here's mine, a leucistic Palm Warbler.  I saw this about a month after I started birding seriously, and I haven't seen another leucistic bird since.  Beginner's luck, I guess...

leucisticPalmWarbler.jpg

• Like 2

Heres one a while back, not the best as far as image quality goes but suitable for id purposes. Spotted sandpiper, it only stayed for about a minute and flew off never to be seen my me again.

post-22777--1956496680_thumb.jpg

icon-quote.gif
lyceel:

Here's mine, a leucistic Palm Warbler.  I saw this about a month after I started birding seriously, and I haven't seen another leucistic bird since.  Beginner's luck, I guess...

leucisticPalmWarbler.jpg

lyceel, how the heck could you ID this one?  Well, I'm sure you good birders could.....I'd be scratching my head.  Awesome shot.

And I love your shot too newfoundlander61.  Cool thread. 

icon-quote.gif
Wendy W:

lyceel, how the heck could you ID this one?  Well, I'm sure you good birders could.....I'd be scratching my head.  Awesome shot.

Interesting question.  I was a pretty fresh birder at the time, but somehow I managed to field ID it.  It was really the presence of the key marks that helped.  Now, the only warblers I knew at the time were Yellow-rumped and Palm.  Note that the yellow undertail coverts and a little bit of the rufous on the crown are still present (they're not part of the leucism).  Down here, that means Palm Warbler.

This isn't a good shot, but it gets the point across... it's a leucistic red-tailed hawk. From where I was I couldn't see anything but white feathers in fact. Apparently this bird had bred successfully in the location (SW PA) for multiple years.

icon-quote.gif
mur0302:

I took these photos in 2009, and, coincidentally enough, in SW PA.

Welcome to Whatbird, mur0302. Your bird is not leucisitc, but a domestic Embden x Canada Goose hybrid. A very handsome bird either way :)

in  the spring of 2009 i had 4 young lewis's woodpeckers visit daily this one had lots of white scattered over it's body

the other three all had normal colors

icon-quote.gif
Liam:
icon-quote.gif
mur0302:

Welcome to Whatbird, mur0302. Your bird is not leucisitc, but a domestic Embden x Canada Goose hybrid. A very handsome bird either way
:)

Liam, I was wondering about this one for sure.  I kept looking and looking and thought it seems a little domestic, but I am far far far from any kind of expert.  I agree, very handsome bird for sure.  

Still loving this thread! 

cairnstone, didn't think you would get this many hits, excellent.  I have some shots of just a couple of feathers but nothing like what is being shown here.  I am now anxiously waiting for my first truly leucistic bird.

Post the feathers Matt!  Loving this thread.  jtee2 awesome picture as always.  So a muted color is also considered leucistic?  Hope that isn't a stupid question.

icon-quote.gif
Wendy W:
So a muted color is also considered leucistic?  Hope that isn't a stupid question.

Leucism is typically characterized by muted colors.  There is a distinct difference between leucism and albinism.  We as birders often misuse both words, calling something leucistic when it's actually albino, or "partial albino" (which doesn't really exist) if the condition is really leucism.  I thought I understood it pretty well, but I just proved myself wrong with some quick Googling. 

The two terms get into details of what pigmentations are not being produced.  Albinism is an absence of melanin, where leucism is a reduction in the production of all pigmentation.  That's about as far as my just-in-time research got before I was bored  Smile

icon-quote.gif
Matt:
Home run?  Well maybe not. 
Tongue Tied

I don't think that one counts!  Smile

I'm not sure I'm correctly spotting the leucism on the hummer.  Is it just the inner primary?

icon-quote.gif
Liam:
icon-quote.gif
mur0302:

Welcome to Whatbird, mur0302. Your bird is not leucisitc, but a domestic Embden x Canada Goose hybrid. A very handsome bird either way
:)

Thank you! :D  I've been wondering about him for quite some time.