Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
roundywaves

My cardinals seem to have disappeared.

roundywaves    70

I used to have several cardinals come to my bird feeders.  But they seem to have disappeared.  Last year, I believe I had 3 males, and at least one female coming to my feeders.  I started putting out food a few weeks ago.  It has never taken this long for the cardinals to come back.  There are a few explanations.  1.  I have bird food in the feeders, and on the ground, but haven't been using the platforms because of a local cat(can't help the food on the ground).  2.  They lived in our tree that fell and died when it fell(this most likely wouldn't explain the deaths of three males).  3.  They moved away for some reason.  4.  They just all died for some reason.  Even if they don't come to the feeders when I am out, I still usually see them around.  Does anyone have any ideas of the most likely explanation?

I have been using their favorite foods, I believe.  Black-oil sunflower seed and safflower seeds.  I also have woodpecker suet and a mix of high quality seeds.

Thanks,

Jeanette

• Sad 1

spyonabird    770

My cardinals disappeared a few weeks ago.  They are coming back slowly, but the males seem to be fighting for territory.  Maybe they chased off the young'uns and that is why they are not around?   They should come back, they LUV black-oil sunflower and safflower.  As a note, mine prefer the platform feeder to the hopper.

JimUSNY    600

My yard has been pretty quiet of cardinals this fall also.. remember this fall is pretty warm here so far.. plenty of food for them out there..  they wll come back  when the weather turns.. I still see a few at the feeders.. but usually just at daybreak and just before dark.. safflower seeds and sunflower hearts the seem to like best.. I converted an enclosed meal worm feeder I built to safflower feeder, they seem to like the roof over their head and plenty of landing room

_Kim_    776

They seemed to have disappeared here as well.  Even on our last couple birding trips to wooded areas, they were not present, which seemed unusual.  

We did have a mated pair up until maybe mid-summer, but then they left for whatever reason. We never saw any youngins with them.  We use Black-oil Sunflower seeds in the hopper and on the ground, so it's here if they come back.  

JimUSNY    600

icon-quote.gif
Anonymous:
The golden finches disappeared from my feeders last year... this year the red finches and the cardinals are gone! We're in Northern IL. 

Its actually kind of scary.. Wonder if it means a real bad winter,... In Spring I always have well over 100 gold finches in the yard at any one time...  after nesting very seldom, and now I am not seeing any.. I see a few out in the field, but none in the yard, I know some leave but I have always had them all winter at the feeders.. same thing happened with robins this year also, I saw very few after breeding anywhere.. The blue birds took off fast after also, and they usually came back for worms even after the babies were old enough to get food on their own.. Only thing that has remained constant in the yard is woodpeckers, nuthatches and titmice.. even chickadees are not around much, yet I see loads in the field.. maybe its normal, but I dont recall it being this slow last fall..

shaybnb    0

OMG, I am so thrilled to find other bird lovers and bird story shares. Thank goodness. I hope someone here will have more info then I have.

I have attached a pic of two lovely Cardinals momma and poppa. They used to live, sing and mate in the Azalea bushes.

There was plenty for them to eat, worms and such as I never rake under the bushes. It was a joy to watch them raise their young.

I loved seeing this family of birds everyday and l always smiled when I heart their lovely song.  Then I had a massive blank invasion in July, they were chewing through my home.

I used this Terro ant bait, it is contained in a plastic ant trap that only ants can reach. The ants are gone and with them went my lovely birds. I am worried that perhaps

the ant poison worked its way through the food chain. Everyday, I go outside to see my birds, everyday I listen for them but the Cardinals are gone. Did I kill them? 

Perhaps they leave Charleston SC in July-August because it is to hot? Any help or advice, or anyone who has also noticed their sweet Cardinal song has been stifled.

I would love it if you shared.

Shay

mating cardnials it is spring time with kevin.jpg

Bird Brain    4295
On 8/24/2017 at 10:04 AM, shaybnb said:

OMG, I am so thrilled to find other bird lovers and bird story shares. Thank goodness. I hope someone here will have more info then I have.

I have attached a pic of two lovely Cardinals momma and poppa. They used to live, sing and mate in the Azalea bushes.

There was plenty for them to eat, worms and such as I never rake under the bushes. It was a joy to watch them raise their young.

I loved seeing this family of birds everyday and l always smiled when I heart their lovely song.  Then I had a massive blank invasion in July, they were chewing through my home.

I used this Terro ant bait, it is contained in a plastic ant trap that only ants can reach. The ants are gone and with them went my lovely birds. I am worried that perhaps

the ant poison worked its way through the food chain. Everyday, I go outside to see my birds, everyday I listen for them but the Cardinals are gone. Did I kill them? 

Perhaps they leave Charleston SC in July-August because it is to hot? Any help or advice, or anyone who has also noticed their sweet Cardinal song has been stifled.

I would love it if you shared.

Shay

mating cardnials it is spring time with kevin.jpg

It's a shame your birds have gone! It is possible that the poison reached them through the food chain, but sometimes birds will disappear for a while for reasons unbeknownst to us. It has happened here and then later the birds return like nothing had ever happened! Hopefully yours will return too.