Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
illin

What did you see today?

illin    283

Lets have a thread where we can share our sightings from the day. When you see something cool while bird watching you often want to tell people, and this forum has nowhere to really do that. It is always fun to brag a little bit. So when you see something cool, get a new bird, or rack up an impressive list come to this thread and tell about it.

• Like 7

illin    283

Today I got a text message from a friend and fellow birder telling me that he located a Long-eared Owl and a Northern Saw-whet Owl roosting on his property. Both would be lifers so I made the drive up. While watching the Long-ear we located a second Long-ear in the same pine tree. It was cool to see the ear tufts blowing in the strong wind. Very impressive birds. Then we moved only about 50 yards away to a cedar tree. Looking up under one of the branches there sat a tiny little Saw-whet. I knew they were little, but seeing one in person really put it in perspective. The thing was not much bigger than the size of my fist and he sat there not seeming to care as we looked it over from about 5 feet away. My binoculars would not even focus on it, that's how close we were. After checking it out for a few we took off giving each other high fives. I was the 12th person today he shared the birds with that got lifer looks. Pretty amazing.

It is kind of bittersweet because now I have seen all of the regularly occurring owls in my home state (without playing any tapes I might add). Any new owls I get in Illinois now will be a review bird and that is not very likely (Burrowing or Great Gray fingers crossed).

Some pics (not mine) of the owls I saw today can be found here.

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=50110.0

• Like 5

Pat B.    360

Nice idea! Can I "catch up" with yesterday?

Yesterday were were on an Audubon Bald Eagle counting field trip on the back side of the Wasatch Mountains. We saw few Eagles during the snowstorm we were caught in, unfortunately. But we did see 115 Wild Turkeys. A lifer.

Today, while looking up at several Bald Eagles who did decide to come out and play today at Farmington Bay WMA, spotted a Golden Eagle among them. While not a lifer, it's been over 35 years since I've seen (or at least recognized) one. 

cabirds    209

I'll bite!

I was working over this Acorn Woodpecker, not really paying attention.  Suddenly he spun around and EXPLODED toward this dead snag right behind him.  I hadn't even noticed:  His mate was nesting in a hole in the snag, and a European Starling was trying to muscle into the nest.  The mate in the hole was pecking at it and screaming bloody murder when the other mate leapt in front and just went APE POO on the Starling!

It was over in a heartbeat, the Starling lay on the ground - looked to still be moving, probably just stunned.  I know *I* was!

wp-starling-smackdown.jpg 

• Like 13

jblakelock    261

I guess it was Owl day.  Saw this Burrowing Owl a few days ago.  Went back today and saw it again.  It was closer this time and I managed to get a few pics (although not nearly as nice as CAbirds' photos).  This one was a lifer.

• Like 2

illin    283

I spent part of the morning walking a bit in a local nature preserve. It was windy and cold. I got my first of year American Woodcock that flushed from under my feet. EBird made me confirm saying it is a rare sighting. I guess it is early for them here. My ebird report is below.

Anderson Prairie Park, Christian, US-IL

Feb 27, 2012 9:15 AM - 9:50 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.0 mile(s)

Comments:     Windy

16 species

Canada Goose  X     Heard

Red-tailed Hawk  3     2 circling high passing over. One hunting on the N end of the prairie.

Killdeer  X     Heard

American Woodcock  1     Flushed from S end of the prairie. Buffy underparts visible while flying away. Long bill, fairly short rounded wings. Quail like flight.

Mourning Dove  X     Singing

Red-bellied Woodpecker  X     Heard

Downy Woodpecker  1

Blue Jay  X

Black-capped Chickadee  X     Singing

Tufted Titmouse  X     Singing

American Robin  1

American Tree Sparrow  X     Large flock at S. end of the preserve.

Song Sparrow  1     Singing

Northern Cardinal  X     Singing

Red-winged Blackbird  X     Several males on territory singing.

Common Grackle  1

• Like 2

illin    283

I read a report yesterday of three Whooping Cranes and a lone Sandhill not far from my house.This morning I went and saw them and they did not disappoint. I know the Whoopers don't count on an official list, but I had not seen either species of crane in Illinois. So the Sandhill makes #229 on my official Illinois list, and the Whoopers make #230 on my personal Illinois list.

Pics of the Cranes I saw (not mine) can be viewed at this site.  http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=50119.0

Tomorrow I try for Mountain Bluebird. Quite the bird for Illinois.

_Kim_    776

A good idea for a thread.  Thank you.

Twice a Northern Harrier came to hunt in the field across the road from us today and that is always a thrill.  We also saw our neighborhood Kestrel about a mile from home.  That was seen in our yard a couple times a few days ago, so we are hoping to put up a nesting box for it and see what happens.  We also had the usual feeder birds: Juncos, Goldfinches, Downy Woodpecker,  Red-bellied Woodpecker, etc.

How can I forget: We saw our first of the year Killdeer as we just got into town.

JimBob    10180

icon-quote.gif
cwj2323:

How can I forget: We saw our first of the year Killdeer as we just got into town.

Wow, I was coming on this thread to say I saw three Killdeers today. The first ones I have seen this year. I hope to see some other shorebirds this year. . . 

• Like 1

cabirds    209

I actually had a Male Nuttall's on the ground drinking from my little waterfall today.  I was stunned.

And Yellow-billed Magpie trying to bath in something that was intended for sparrow-sized birds.  (Next week I'm going to increase the size of my water feature by a factor of ten.  Gently sloping stone bottom to accommodate all the different birds.)

• Like 1

JimBob    10180

Well I had a very strange experience with starlings. 

I was watching birds at the feeder, and saw a black wiz and then saw it hit the window right in front of me. It scared me so bad, mainly because it was unexpected. I looked and saw two starlings hovering, and then smashing into the window were I was looking. I lifted my camera to get a picture (yes I don't have any pictures of starlings, well alive ones that is.). By the time it was in focus they were flying away!

Like a game of ding-dong ditch! Oh and I saw the first Brown-headed Cowbird.  

• Like 1

illin    283

Today I drove down to the St. Louis area to try for a Mountain Bluebird that has wintered over down there. I have tried for this bird 4 times already without luck, well today I got it. It was a very pale female, I did not notice any blue in the bird at all. I got some great looks in really good light. Really made my day. This was a lifer and is a rare species for Illinois, in fact a review species. Below are a couple crappy pics of the bird.

6795922484_fec3893005_z.jpg
cropped2 by Laramore, on Flickr

6795919150_955a87ce62_z.jpg
cropped1 by Laramore, on Flickr

illin    283

Today I drove down to the St. Louis area to try for a Mountain Bluebird that has wintered over down there. I have tried for this bird 4 times already without luck, well today I got it. It was a very pale female, I did not notice any blue in the bird at all. I got some great looks in really good light. Really made my day. This was a lifer and is a rare species for Illinois, in fact a review species. Below are a couple crappy pics of the bird.

6942831555_e8468ae433_z.jpg
2012-02-29 Mountain Bluebird, Madison Co. by Laramore, on Flickr

illin    283

icon-quote.gif
JimBob:
Were was this? I am going to try to persuade my mom to take me, if it is close. . .  

The bird was located just east of Horseshoe Lake State Park. It is a mile or two as the crow flies north of Cahokia Mounds. Here is a map of where it is located, look for the little blue tag. Keep in mind that I looked for this bird quite a few times before I got it. Also keep in mind that Bischoff Rd. is rough. It is paved, just really bumpy.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203897755652227743691.0004ba22d724e605999b4&msa=0&ll=38.636986,-90.129433&spn=0.202204,0.308647

Cavan Wood    492

Nothing very interesting today, but on Sunday I saw a snowy owl, barred owl, northern shrike, bald eagle eating a duck, and a rather early female wood duck.

• Like 1

illin    283

Nice group of birds there Cavan. I have not seen a N. Shrike since 2010, they just don't quite get down here.

natureboy    55

i was fishing today and i saw a female wood duck fly up to a knot-hole in a tree and get hung up upon entering and having to abort as she was flapping and sliding down the tree.  after circling the tree where i could see into the knot better it was apparent that she was not going to get in that one.  it was stopped up with rotten heartwood.  then the male took her down to another tree and they tried another hole that was not quite right.  apparently, they were hunting for a nest hole and not having much luck.

most wood ducks around here are locals so i figured they would be privy to which trees sported usable nest holes.  maybe this was a young pair and they were having to try hard to get a good nest hole.  starting this early is not unusual, but it sure will prob give this pair a good chance of a successful nesting season.  hope so, because the more the merrier.

JimBob    10180

Not really birds but I saw my first butterfly of the year. Oh and a Chipmunk.

Pat B.    360

Certainly not a rare bird in my yard, but it was doing something out of character. Northern Flicker, red-shafted, female, eating from tube seed feeder. Odder is the fact that she was using the bottom holes and so had to fold her tail under the tube (the upper holes had food available, so not sure why she was doing this). Supposedly Flickers need to have a "tail prop" on feeders, but someone forgot to tell this girl. I'm low on suet (waiting for a snowstorm to stop) so she's improvising.

_Kim_    776

icon-quote.gif
Pat B.:
. Northern Flicker, red-shafted, female, eating from tube seed feeder. Odder is the fact that she was using the bottom holes and so had to fold her tail under the tube (the upper holes had food available, so not sure why she was doing this). Supposedly Flickers need to have a "tail prop" on feeders, but someone forgot to tell this girl. I'm low on suet (waiting for a snowstorm to stop) so she's improvising.

I am glad she's made use of another food source.  We had a female Flicker visit for days on end for awhile.  She's not quite as regular now.  Her feeder of choice was the platform feeder.  Peanuts and the homemade suet I put in it. 

What we've seen today...

Much of the same around home, but saw a Red-tailed Hawk and the Kestrel again.  The nesting box will be put up today, if my husband can get the extension cord out that far; he doesn't have a cordless drill.  

spookyjimjams    135

Since I am in a dry area, my Varied Thrush buddy that has been hanging out at work is a nice addition!  It will soon leave once the weather dries up.