Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Platypus

Please Read: New Forums - FAQ

Pat - It's working for me. I posted in an old pre-update thread yesterday and it went through. Test it out and if your still having issues, post back.

Yes, it is working. I was reluctant to random post to someone's thread & just looked at first-post & last post dates and didn't see any later replies. Probably everyone is pretty busy getting checked out on the new stuff. Thanks!

How do I add my current Life list to the bottom of each of my posts?

See the first post in this thread on how to make a signature.

Question: I was looking at your profile Platypus, and saw that there is a large green box that says, "Good 16". What does that mean?

Thanks, Jimbob.

Question: I was looking at your profile Platypus, and saw that there is a large green box that says, "Good 16". What does that mean?

Thanks, Jimbob.

That means that I have had my posts 'Liked' a total of 16 times.

Thanks, Jimbob.

Hi JimBob,

That is the number of 'likes' he has received on any of his posts.

[EDIT: Posting at the same time as Platypus.]

Best,

Josh

I've spent a very frustrating hour trying to upload a photo.

Could you give a hypothetical example of what goes into "[ img ]yoururlhere[ /img ]"

I've spent a very frustrating hour trying to upload a photo.

Could you give a hypothetical example of what goes into "[ img ]yoururlhere[ /img ]"

Sure! Here is the image I want to post. The image would be posted by typing:

OxpFL.png

Notice the lack of spaces in the IMG tags.

• Like 1

The 'How do I post a photo?' section now has this added at the end:

*NOTE* If you are still have problems, read my post below this one (the second post in the thread) for a step-by-step guide.

The second post in the thread now reads:

If you still are having trouble posting photos, my best suggestion for you is to download is to upload your photos to Imgur.com. This is by far the easiest method of uploading photos as there is no bandwidth limit, no account creation needed, and no site navigation necessary. All you do is:

1. Go to Imgur.com

2. Click 'Computer'

3. Find the photo(s) on your computer and click 'open'. You can upload more than one photo at a time.

4. Click 'Start Upload'

5. Copy and paste the 'BBCCode' and paste it into your forum post (see below).

61f1O.png

Kind of a trivial matter, but why does it say "Members" and "Moderators" - both plural - under our avatars? Shouldn't it be the singular tense?

Kind of a trivial matter, but why does it say "Members" and "Moderators" - both plural - under our avatars? Shouldn't it be the singular tense?

They are groups. "Members" is a group containing members and "Moderators" is a group containing Moderators. That is why they are plural.

If you still are having trouble posting photos, my best suggestion for you is to download is to upload your photos to Imgur.com. This is by far the easiest method of uploading photos as there is no bandwidth limit, no account creation needed, and no site navigation necessary. All you do is:

1. Go to Imgur.com

2. Click 'Computer'

3. Find the photo(s) on your computer and click 'open'. You can upload more than one photo at a time.

4. Click 'Start Upload'

5. Copy and paste the 'BBCCode' and paste it into your forum post (see below).

61f1O.png

These directions got me there. My image posted.

Thank you so much for all of the help!!!!!!!

Is there a reason why you can only like a certain number of posts per day? I saw some funny things I liked and hit the like this button, and it said that I had reached my max number of likes per day. Kinda irritating.

Is there a reason why you can only like a certain number of posts per day? I saw some funny things I liked and hit the like this button, and it said that I had reached my max number of likes per day. Kinda irritating.

It's intended to help prevent cliques from running each other's ratings up. The good ol' popularity contest.

• Like 1

Hi! I'm new here - obviously - but have been lurking for a while. I'd like to have an avatar, but I don't have any good bird pics that I've taken myself. I could take a snapshot of whatever's on my feeder now, but I'd rather wait til maybe my barn swallows are back! Is there anywhere I can get a stock photo to use?

Hi, BarnSwallow, and welcome to the Forum.

There are a couple places I use:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

In any search I type in Public Domain along with the bird name. I don't know how to deal with the attribution stuff, so take it safe.

http://digitalmedia.fws.gov/

Most are public domain at this site, but when you click on an image, it will state if it is Public Domain or not.

Friends don't let friends use stock photos!

I offer this - at least until yours arrive and you can get a photo of them. (and I won't feel offended if you find stock you prefer. ;) )

barn-swallow-avatar.jpg

h ttp://cabirds.com/barn-swallow-avatar.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a way to delete all my attachments at once [i have 80+ pages of them!]?

Is there a way to delete all my attachments at once [i have 80+ pages of them!]?

I deleted my whole gallery album.

I'm not sure how to delete attachments, though. Bigfoot says Mitch is going to fix the limit soon.

if you click on your name on the right upper top of the forum then click on settings and then manage attatchments. i was way way over on the limit and i deleted all the attachment i had. and since then they have raised the limit a couple times but even so with 5 new attachments i'm up to 15% of the limit. but also i have been using imgur.com and photobucket and finnaly figured out how to use them. they don't count on the attachment limit. photobucket for me is the easiest one to use and imgur is ok but more steps and more ways to goof up.

I deleted my whole gallery album.

I'm not sure how to delete attachments, though. Bigfoot says Mitch is going to fix the limit soon.

I didn't find any way on "manage attachments" to delete them all at once. Where is it? How did I miss it? I'm too lazy to check off every attachment over and over and over again.

Gee..... I somehow quoted the wrong person.... I meant to quote dklucius.... this obviously is not my best day!