Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Platypus

Please Read: New Forums - FAQ

Is there a way to delete all my attachments at once [i have 80+ pages of them!]?

On the Manage Attachments page, do you see the blue bar at the top. On the right side of it is a little box. Click on that and every attachment (at least on that page) will be checked.

The limit has been increased to 2MG, but for those who do not crop their pictures, I am not sure that will go very far. For the most part, I am using Picasa for my pictures now.

On the Manage Attachments page, do you see the blue bar at the top. On the right side of it is a little box. Click on that and every attachment (at least on that page) will be checked.

The limit has been increased to 2MG, but for those who do not crop their pictures, I am not sure that will go very far. For the most part, I am using Picasa for my pictures now.

Ah, now I see, and it does check and delete that page..... makes it a lot quicker.

Thanks so very much!

Is there a way to delete all my attachments at once [i have 80+ pages of them!]?

I would hold off on deleting old pictures, doc, or anyone else that might be thinking about it. The reason I say this is because the old pictures are part of old threads, and without the pictures there isn't much use for the old threads, especially in the identify section. I can't see the logic of Admin leaving things the way they are and having the majority of the threads/data that they transfered become useless because members have to delete the old stuff to make room for new stuff. The identify a bird section would be filled with a lot of red X's from people deleting their photos, I doubt very much that Admin would want that. If that was the case, Admin could have just said, here's the new forums, start from scratch but don't expect yesterday's photo discussion to be relevant tomorrow because the photo you discussed yesterday might be deleted today to make room for a new photo discussion. I don't know what the final limit will be, but it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being unlimited like it use to be. It just doesn't make sense to me to have an ID section comprised 99% of pictures being setup where it necessitates the deleting of those pictures. I could be wrong but I'd suggest holding off on deleting any pictures until they work the bugs out and set a realistic limit, or hopefully, remove the storage limit.

I don't use Flikr or any of the others. I'm trying to upload directly from my computer. The image is 640k wide and 1005K in size and WILL NOT UPLOAD.

I had to delete all of my attachments in order to upload here so now my new post is completed. DON'T LIKE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77744-gallery-stats/page__fromsearch__1

This was down in the Reporting Forums. I think someone posted it on one of the posts at the top, but I cannot remember who. It costs money to store our images and this explains it from their side.

I appreciate lonestranger's response, but I didn't see it until too late.

Since I use my photos on my blog as well, it makes sense for me to put them at another location, but for others it is easier for them to upload here.

for many people who live in rural areas and just have dialup connections computers are slow and lock up or stall out when they have to switch back and forth between different gallerys and forums to post and it's so much easier to post a picture from the computer directly to the forum.

and there are lots of us who are not computer nerds and are self taught to do the basics. so when people assume you know how to cut copy paste or figure out how to share from a gallery to the computer to the forum the help they post helps but they don't explain the individual steps and how to do them. i have learned by rote and making errors over and over till i get something right. and to tell me to read an instruction book or a page of instructions you need to show me each step and what to do with it. i'm glad for any help or ideas but you just as well be speaking greek if you don't esplain the details.

I just wanted to say that if you are posting photos from your flickr acount it is easier to go to the share tab above your photo in your flickr account and copy the BBCode and then paste it into your post. You do not have to use the little tree button to post pics from flickr.

6837552130_3fe749c42f_z.jpg

flickr help.bmp by Laramore, on Flickr

I have started a Flickr account just for WhatBird and tried to follow the above instructions.

After clicking "share" I do not get an option to Grab the BBCode as is shown above.

I get only share this via and grab the link.

What have I done wrong?????

doc what worked for me was to click on the code and then go to edit at top left and click on copy then to to whatbird and type my message and then click on paste and then at bottom of message click on preview post and when picture comes up click on post new topic.

This is an issue I had not run into before. Often on the old site, I would right click on a photo to open a larger version in a new tab or window, so I can easily refer to it while working on a reply. I tried right clicking on a picture just now wanting it in a separate tab and that enlarged it over the reply as if I left clicked it. Is there a work around for this? I hope I am making sense. :)

This is an issue I had not run into before. Often on the old site, I would right click on a photo to open a larger version in a new tab or window, so I can easily refer to it while working on a reply. I tried right clicking on a picture just now wanting it in a separate tab and that enlarged it over the reply as if I left clicked it. Is there a work around for this? I hope I am making sense. :)

cwj - in your post you say that this occurs when you're right clicking the photo, right? Are you sure you don't mean you're left clicking the photo?

Regardless, I think this can be solved for you by using the opposite click (for me, a right click) to bring up a menu where you can "open image in new tab". Depending on your browser or operating system, the wording will be a bit different. See below:

HnMGy.png

• Like 1

cwj - in your post you say that this occurs when you're right clicking the photo, right? Are you sure you don't mean you're left clicking the photo?

Regardless, I think this can be solved for you by using the opposite click (for me, a right click) to bring up a menu where you can "open image in new tab". Depending on your browser or operating system, the wording will be a bit different. See below:

I meant right click, not left. For me, left would open the image in the same window, or I could open it into another tab with the right click. We use Linux/Firefox, have for years. Now, the menu doesn't include "Open image in new tab" and opens in the same window regardless of whether I click right or left.

I tried taking a screen shot to include that menu , but it closed as soon as I hit the screenshot button. I don't think you'd need to see a screenshot of your screenshot, so I won't post it. :)

Trying to figure this out, if I need to see an image while replying, I can open up a same thread in a second tab. I'll get used to doing new things with this site, sooner or later.

Thanks for responding.

I meant right click, not left. For me, left would open the image in the same window, or I could open it into another tab with the right click. We use Linux/Firefox, have for years. Now, the menu doesn't include "Open image in new tab" and opens in the same window regardless of whether I click right or left.

I tried taking a screen shot to include that menu , but it closed as soon as I hit the screenshot button. I don't think you'd need to see a screenshot of your screenshot, so I won't post it. :)

Trying to figure this out, if I need to see an image while replying, I can open up a same thread in a second tab. I'll get used to doing new things with this site, sooner or later.

Thanks for responding.

cwj - try installing this add-on for firefox. Hopefully this will help! It brings up a menu option like this:

15180.png?modified=1331247702

On another note, I've now updated the OP of the FAQ thread with a recommendation not to delete photos and note about the gallery linking from goofy's pinned thread (meaning the pinned thread is probably no longer necessary).

I'll try that, Platypus. Or ask my husband to. He does all the updating stuff for the computer.

I ran into something interesting. I was in one of the forums under Birding. I wanted to get back to the main page and clicked Whatbird Community Board and got this message on a white page.

\\27301.cloud.storage.gogrid.com\27301\FTPDir

Same thing happened when I tried the Forum tab between Whatbird and Members. I was able to get back in using one of my cached links and deleting the end chunk. (That link goes to my attachments)

I'll try that, Platypus. Or ask my husband to. He does all the updating stuff for the computer.

I ran into something interesting. I was in one of the forums under Birding. I wanted to get back to the main page and clicked Whatbird Community Board and got this message on a white page.

\\27301.cloud.storage.gogrid.com\27301\FTPDir

Same thing happened when I tried the Forum tab between Whatbird and Members. I was able to get back in using one of my cached links and deleting the end chunk. (That link goes to my attachments)

Yeah that problem has just arisen in the past couple of hours... I'm sure it's being worked on since everyone has noticed it. The links are just directing users to the wrong url.

The main board can be reached here for those having troubles while this is getting fixed.

EDIT: I've made a thread in the "Reporting Forums" subforum about these issues which you can view here.

I have tried over and over for several days to get into that gravatar site to make an avatar, but I keep getting timed out (I can get into other sites, although I don't have the best internet connection in the world). Should I just edit my photo to be square and very small? Any further information on how small it has to be? Thanks for the help!

Helen

I resized my avatar photo to 100x100 pixels and had no problems uploading it directly from my computer, hopefully that will work for you.

I resized my avatar photo to 100x100 pixels and had no problems uploading it directly from my computer, hopefully that will work for you.

OK, Thank you. That's very helpful. I'll give it a try.

Helen

ETA - thanks, that worked!

Ah, I'm glad we have a known size that works now. I've updated the OP. Thanks lonestranger!

Cant view anyones profile. Nor even my own. I did a search on view profile and only came up with the instructions on how to see one.

Was active a bit ago then fell off. Trying to come back.

Here is the error I get.

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

Cant view anyones profile. Nor even my own. I did a search on view profile and only came up with the instructions on how to see one.

Was active a bit ago then fell off. Trying to come back.

Here is the error I get.

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

Just a thought, Aknot, but were you signed in at the time? I have noticed that you need to be signed in in order to have permission to use at a lot of the regular features, including viewing some of the images posted. The new forum is very different from the old forum. It seems that being signed is a virtual necessity now if you want to be able to explore the new forums. Could your problem be as simple as that?

For the record, I uploaded mine with no problem as 150 x 150.

Thanks for the heads up. I've changed the OP.

Just a thought, Aknot, but were you signed in at the time? I have noticed that you need to be signed in in order to have permission to use at a lot of the regular features, including viewing some of the images posted. The new forum is very different from the old forum. It seems that being signed is a virtual necessity now if you want to be able to explore the new forums. Could your problem be as simple as that?

That was my thought as well. Makes sense to me that profiles are censored to non-members since some people put a little personal information in them.

Okay I have a new problem, when I go in chat it says that I do not have permission to enter the room. I am logged in I dont know whats going on.

Thanks,

shoveler26