Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Platypus

Please Read: New Forums - FAQ

Liam    6387

I get the same message.

[#CHAT-02] You do not have access to our chat room.

Platypus    70

Yeah chat seems to be having problems right now - with all the member permissions / member groups that they're changing right now, it's not that surprising. Give them a little bit to figure it out I'd say!

Aknot    0

Just a thought, Aknot, but were you signed in at the time? I have noticed that you need to be signed in in order to have permission to use at a lot of the regular features, including viewing some of the images posted. The new forum is very different from the old forum. It seems that being signed is a virtual necessity now if you want to be able to explore the new forums. Could your problem be as simple as that?

Nope logged in as I checked before and after I posted.

Although it works now. So maybe it was fixed behind the scenes, or it takes a bit top propagate if you have been away and or are new..... or maybe its just on eof those things.

:D

Bigfoot    4325

Yep, working now but a Turkey Vulture flew overhead and I missed you!!

I no understand, Bigfoot no fly, you calling Bigfoot a Turkey? Bigfoot no eat dead meat unless Bigfoot kill it.

Bigfoot looking for hammer.

Bigfoot

Aveschapines    2107

Oh my Bigfoot you are so paranoid! I was outside on the patio when you called me to the chat room; I entered and you were there, but a TV (not Bigfoot; there was no Spam in sight) flew overhead, so I didn't begin chatting immediately; and Bigfoot (you, NOT the TV), left the chatroom before the TV flew away!!! No hammer slamming necessary; just be patient next time!

JimBob    10204

I would like to change "my" email. The current one is my parents, and I want to make it mine. Do I have to change my password too?

Limpkin    161

I would like to change "my" email. The current one is my parents, and I want to make it mine. Do I have to change my password too?

Nope, you don't. Just go to "Email & Password" under "Edit My Profile", then enter your new email, confirm your new email, and enter your current password. Then click "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page and you're good to go. Don't forget to read the "PLEASE NOTE" message, though, it gives you extra details.

JimBob    10204

How do I check and see if I am over that limit thing? Want to know if I can post some pics. . .

Platypus    70

How do I check and see if I am over that limit thing? Want to know if I can post some pics. . .

Hey JimBob - Just click 'reply' to a thread then look what it says near the attachment menu (see the area circled in red below).

CRiDd.png

Regardless of your current attachment usage, I recommend you post images as recommended in the original post of this thread rather than attaching them.

JimBob    10204

I don't have a flicker account or anything like it. . . so I don't think I can.

Aveschapines    2107

I don't have a flicker account or anything like it. . . so I don't think I can.

You can get a flickr or photobucket (and there are others too) account for free; go to flickr.com or photobucket.com.

dklucius    779

i have tried a bunch of them and do use several as storage for photos in case my computer dies. picassa and adobe photo are good and imgur and Photobucket are the two easiest to use. my computer does not like flickr and i don't either i learned from trial and error and have had the best luck with photobucket.for posting pics here. i have photos and such on my pictures or windows live photo gallery and my camera is set to download from the camera to windows live gallery but is easy to transfer back and forth to and from photobucket or hp photo essentials or adobe photoshop

Platypus    70

Yeah I know. I just have to get my mom's permission.

Just use the imgur.com instructions in the original post of this thread. You don't need to make an account.

suemonroe    0

Help! I have been trying to download photos using the way you suggest with Imgur, but cannot load them. It shows the following message: "Used 24.18MB of your 1.95MB global upload quota" It gave this message from the first time I tried downloading. I love this site and have used it a lot. I hate not being able to post photos as I learn a lot from the help I get identifying birds from my photos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Susan

Bigfoot    4325

Sue, please review these instructions with the aspect of using 'imgur'

You have not posted for a while and there have been some changes. The use of off site remote storage will resolve your storage issues.

Please review the first posts in this thread for instructions.

Bigfoot

Platypus    70

Help!

Susan - as Bigfoot said, that error message means you're still trying to upload using the attachment feature. Try re-reading the steps for posting with imgur, and ensure that you're following those correctly. You won't be pressing any attachment buttons in your reply. I've copied the instructions again below for ease of use:

If you still are having trouble posting photos, my best suggestion for you is to download is to upload your photos to Imgur.com. This is by far the easiest method of uploading photos as there is no bandwidth limit, no account creation needed, and no site navigation necessary. All you do is:

1. Go to Imgur.com

2. Click 'Computer'

3. Find the photo(s) on your computer and click 'open'. You can upload more than one photo at a time.

4. Click 'Start Upload'

5. Copy and paste the 'BBCCode' and paste it into your forum post (see below).

61f1O.png

Pat B.    360

I've had good luck using the Flickr option & it doesn't matter how large your photo is. Use the "share" option at the top of the Flickr page when your photo is up & select the BB Code (not HTML) option, copy it, and paste it into your WhatBird post. I just did this yesterday, so I know it works. (Note that embedding a photo in eBird is also done this way, but you choose the HTML option, not BB code, for eBird.)

I'm doing it now: 6953468042_da2d0a23b0.jpg

There is one line of code that you can erase at the end (I did) which has the file name and Flickr username; I did this by doing an Edit here right after I posted.

scall0way    15

Today is the first time I've tried to use the forums since the cutover to the new software. I wanted to make sure my profile looked okay. I'm signed in (I seem to be able to post this I hope). But when I click on *MY OWN PROFILE* I get this message:

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

Huh?