Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Platypus

Please Read: New Forums - FAQ

Thank you, jhauser, I'll do that. I hail originally from western NY and was born in Buffalo, small world. Now living in the Puget Sound region. Look forward to reading more here.

I well understand the restrictions on new users, but I am not exactly clear what they are.

I posted a "what bird is this" message with a photo (not too big). It has not appeared yet, but no worry, I am in no hurry.

However, the green text above says I can make 3 more posts until tomorrow, at about this time, so I suppose this is for 24-hours. Then it says, this restriction is in place until I have 2 more approved posts. Does this mean I have to make two more posts (of which this would be the first), or do I just wait until this and my previous post are approved.

I am not trying to pressure anybody. I'd just like to understand!

I also assume it is because I am a newbie that I cannot edit my profile yet.

Best wishes to all!

I well understand the restrictions on new users, but I am not exactly clear what they are.

I posted a "what bird is this" message with a photo (not too big). It has not appeared yet, but no worry, I am in no hurry.

However, the green text above says I can make 3 more posts until tomorrow, at about this time, so I suppose this is for 24-hours. Then it says, this restriction is in place until I have 2 more approved posts. Does this mean I have to make two more posts (of which this would be the first), or do I just wait until this and my previous post are approved.

Best wishes to all!

Yes, you need 2 posts to be approved before you have free ability to post and edit your profile.  You should be all set now.

Best wishes to all!

Welcome to WhatBird!

Sorry about the limitations for new members' posts, but we used to have terrible problems with spammers until this system was put into place. I hope you'll feel more at home here from now on!

Are there any recommended sites for uploading audio? 

I was using Soundcloud to post bird sounds for identification until I realized that the site continuously plays other sound tracks in addition to the linked track.

Are there any recommended sites for uploading audio? 

I was using Soundcloud to post bird sounds for identification until I realized that the site continuously plays other sound tracks in addition to the linked track.

You may upload audio to this site, and I will forward this to the group in charge of the Bird Call/Song to see if they are interested in using your audio files.

BF

• Like 1

You may upload audio to this site, and I will forward this to the group in charge of the Bird Call/Song to see if they are interested in using your audio files.

BF

Most of the files would exceed the 27 KB limitation. 

Most of the files would exceed the 27 KB limitation. 

EyesOpen

You have more space than that...

BF

Really helpful thread.  I wish I had found it earlier!

And I LOVE your name :  Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

Can we call you BBHSSABD for short?  LOL!

• Like 1

Why does it say 'New Members' under everyone's avatar?  Well, maybe not everyone, but everyone I've seen so far.

'Well, if I recall correctly, that was instituted with a previous format change to the forums (I think they swtiched over to a different software base for the site - I don't know the exact word I need here LOL) and it indicated people who had joined the new site. The other possibilities are staff and administration, to indicate people who are volunteer moderators or paid staff of WhatBird. Then I was thinking there was another designation for brand-new members that switched over after a while, something like newbies or some such thing; but I just looked at a couple of people who joined in the last 24 hours and their deesignation is simply "members"! 

In any case, it doesn't reflect the time you've been a member, but I'm not certain it makes sense 100% of the time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

'Well, if I recall correctly, that was instituted with a previous format change to the forums (I think they swtiched over to a different software base for the site - I don't know the exact word I need here LOL) and it indicated people who had joined the new site. The other possibilities are staff and administration, to indicate people who are volunteer moderators or paid staff of WhatBird. Then I was thinking there was another designation for brand-new members that switched over after a while, something like newbies or some such thing; but I just looked at a couple of people who joined in the last 24 hours and their deesignation is simply "members"! 

In any case, it doesn't reflect the time you've been a member, but I'm not certain it makes sense 100% of the time.

Thanks.  What drives 'Reputation'?

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Your "reputation" is the number of likes you get.

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Other users "liking" your content. On your profile page, under the reputation score, it says in tiny letters "see reputation activity"; that takes you to a page where you can click on the various kinds of content you've posted to see what has gotten likes. I had to go check because I pay very little attention to that stuff :D

Edited by Aveschapines
clarity

2 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

Interesting.  I checked where you said and there was nothing there!

If it's only driven by 'Likes', I probably won't wind up paying much attention to it either.  I thought maybe it had something to do with successful IDs, life list count, checklists submitted, etc.

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Interesting.  I checked where you said and there was nothing there!

If it's only driven by 'Likes', I probably won't wind up paying much attention to it either.  I thought maybe it had something to do with successful IDs, life list count, checklists submitted, etc.

Thanks.

On the right- left-hand side, there is a list of different kinds of content. I think the first one was profile status or something like that; I had nothing there either. Try clicking on the one that says forum posts, and you'll see some results. And yes, it's completely based on "like" clicks by other members.

Edited by Aveschapines
I don't know right from left in English
  • Like 1

Thank you for the very helpful FAQ.  However i still have a question, have they resolved the issue of limitation on attachement memory?  I have used all of mine that i had available to me and now seem to have no way to delete the old to make way for new.  I know it was mentioned earlier that this restriction might be changed so i was wondering of the status on that?  I am not going to be using a third party image host due to there tos and privacy rules being to much in favor of them over the original copyright owner, so attachements were my only available option.  that's why its such a big deal for me.    :(

3 minutes ago, HawkyGal said:

Thank you for the very helpful FAQ.  However i still have a question, have they resolved the issue of limitation on attachement memory?  I have used all of mine that i had available to me and now seem to have no way to delete the old to make way for new.  I know it was mentioned earlier that this restriction might be changed so i was wondering of the status on that?  I am not going to be using a third party image host due to there tos and privacy rules being to much in favor of them over the original copyright owner, so attachements were my only available option.  that's why its such a big deal for me.    :(

It has not changed and is not likely to change at any time.

Third party hosting is what everyone here has to use at some time.

Thank you i appriciate the info :)  

Is there a way to delete prior attachements?  Such as double uploads etc?

1 hour ago, HawkyGal said:

Thank you i appriciate the info :)  

Is there a way to delete prior attachements?  Such as double uploads etc?

You can delete attachments by editing the posts that contain them. However, it's preferred that you not do that, since the posts are searchable online and without photos most threads are useless to future readers. Lots of people come to WhatBird by searching for a bird online and getting a hit here. 

If you have double posts just let us know and we mods can delete the extas for you! 

Hmm, i must have done something incorrectly then as i tried that on a post that wouldn't have changed a whole lot without the photo and it didn't free up any available space, it still listed the photo in the attachments as well. 

At any rate i really appriciate the info you gave and that was posted in the original faq.  However if i can't figure out a way to use the attachements i think i will move on to another forum for id help.  I need to be able to figure out the birds easily and that particular feature for me is essential.  Though i will miss coming here. My thanks to all who helped me here the last few years :)

OK; I looked around and I don't see another way to delete them (I've never deleted mine so I don't know what other options there may be).

Are you not able to upload your photos to a photo hosting site - Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. - and use the link to post them here? That's what everyone does if they stick around for more than a couple of IDs, since the limit is low. If you need help doing that just ask!

thank you very much for your reply.  i was able to use attachement for a few years because i use pro software that optimised my photos, which in turn kept the file size unusually small allowing me to keep posting without running out of space until now. 

No i am unable to use the above mentioned sites, i looked into them and unfortunately they all have huge issues with control of original ownership and copyright enforcement.  Even though the id photos i post are generally the worst photos i have i'm a big copyright person and have followed alot of the legal issues that have been going on with the various photo hosting sites, for example toyota used many photos on flikr that were marked as copyrighted for there marketing which is against the fact that they were posted copyrighted etc, but that really didn't protect the photographers from people using an api to lift there work and profit from it and stuff like that.  It's just a big box of trouble i have no interest in messing with.  :(

Though i think i will still keep around here to watch what others post and stuff even if i can't figure out a way to get around the limit that works for me ;)

And again thank you all who helped me try to figure this out :)

What is gong to stop people from using the photos you post here?

If someone is going to use a picture without permission they will take it from anywhere.

I totally understand your point, the issue is there are API's that make it efficient and super easy to grab photos from the 3rd party sites listed above.  The people who would take the photos at those sites are different in concept from here.  The reason being if they want to steal photos from here they have to go post by post find them click download etc.  That is all unneeded on flickr etc as the API can do it all automatically without any hassle.  Hence photos are regularly pulled from those site as opposed to forums where it is more work.  (you can read through articles at http://www.photoattorney.com/ if you are interested in learning about the issue in more specifics).

I'm not intending in any way to be critical of this forum, on the contrary i'm very greatful to it.  I was just trying to explain why for me personally i just am not okay with using the suggested sites.  And that is on me, i totally get it and am not asking anyone else to feel the same way ;)