Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Bird Brain

Those "Almost" Good Shots!!

Thanks! But it's too soft and "watercolor-esque" to meet my "standards" as a general rule. Kinda artsie though. ;)

We're playing a different game though. You're going for the Big Numbers - you can't afford to spend the time on any one single bird that I can. If it takes seven hours - it takes seven hours. If it takes a day, a week, a month - [shrug] - that's what it takes. My game is different. You get to _see_ more birds than I do, and I do envy you that.

BB - oh man, I feel ya! Fix it in post'. That's what Photoshop is for! ;)

This is about my "minimum standard" for a Nuttall's:

nuttalls-male-artsie.jpg?m=1326151844

[edit: Huh. It actually looks really decent, if I do say so, but only on the uncalibrated monitor. There ya go. Never try to send it to print and I'm fine. ;) ]

• Like 2

Here I was, on St. Augustine Beach, watching Gulls, other shorebirds, and I see some Brown Pelicans in flight. I missed the first couple of bunches flying by, but then I got ready and watched and waited for more. I saw two skimmimg just over the breakers, followed them and manually focused, panned with them and snapped the shot. Only chance I had to get them in flight, and......well, see the photo below!! :angry:

6916420384_480d74a56a.jpg

Fla. 04-01-12 thru 04-08-093 by Birdbrain14, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well BB - look on the bright side - it's in focus and you don't have a couple of people "fooling around" in the same picture! It could have been worse - a lot worse!!

• Haha 1

Well BB - look on the bright side - it's in focus and you don't have a couple of people "fooling around" in the same picture! It could have been worse - a lot worse!!

Very true, Seattle....... very true.

Stupid Leaf. I moved all around just outside his fear circle, but could NOT compose a shot no matter what I did.

almost-good-bewicks-smaller.jpg

Stupid Leaf. I moved all around just outside his fear circle, but could NOT compose a shot no matter what I did.

That would be easy enough to remove, though.

There's so much loss of information on that big green leaf that I think it'd be above my skills to remove it believably. Hats off to you, if I wore one I'd doff it promise, if you can make that image pay.

I found a different Wren that was a little more cooperative. I did have to remove a couple branches, but not nearly so much information loss.

house-wren.jpg?m=1334987943

Here it was totally unedited, just resize.

house-wren_0285-pre-edit.jpg

Or a little higher f/stop? :)

True, although I was shooting wide open because it was so dark outside. I chose loss of a deep dof to keep the noise level down. Look where that got me. Pfft.

Would be a nice picture had i not had a couple of distractions in it. I've been wanting to get a nice owl picture to print for my Mom, but guess she will have to wait.

I actually like this shot a lot! The way the branches frame the owl is quite artistic. I'd print it. :D

• Like 1

I actually like this shot a lot! The way the branches frame the owl is quite artistic. I'd print it. :D

I agree - I like it. It's more like looking out a window!

I am new at photography, with a new camera I haven't a clue how to operate yet, lol and new at trying to get bird pics. And sure enough just when I get the right zoom, I get all excited because it is going to be such a great picture and it flies away, so I get a picture of a fence or tree limb. Then someone will ask me, "why did you take a picture of this??"

• Like 1

I am new at photography, with a new camera I haven't a clue how to operate yet, lol and new at trying to get bird pics. And sure enough just when I get the right zoom, I get all excited because it is going to be such a great picture and it flies away, so I get a picture of a fence or tree limb. Then someone will ask me, "why did you take a picture of this??"

Don't feel bad, sailormom. That happens to all of us, no matter how long we have been at it!! :wacko: