Whatbird Community Board
Bird Brain

Those "Almost" Good Shots!!

Oh lord, the number of pictures I've deleted not knowing we have a thread for it. I shouldn't be away for so long!

Great pictures and we can all relate.

Turkey vultures regularly soar over my yard as they ride the thermals, and I like to practice my panning/tracking technique no matter what elevation they are at, even when I know they are just too far away for a decent photo. On occasion the TVs will drop down to an elevation that would provide a decent photo, unfortunately, I still need to practice on keeping the subject in the frame when tracking them, especially when they get as close as this one did. The worst part about getting this photo is the fact that it looks like it would have been the best exposure of the series.

gUJmx.jpg

• Like 3

This photo could have won awards...

71682330.jpg

...had it been in focus. <_<

I think it is nice, even with that stripe. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out!

I was hunting around trying to find a place to put my 1,000th post and I think this is it! One of my children happened to see my post count was on 999 otherwise I would not have noticed.

This is our first year for hummingbirds, but if they aren't moving, they are sitting in poor lighting. I shouldn't have tried, but I got a kick out of how this guy POOFed at the right time. Is this some sort of territorial display?

ruffled.jpg

Do you ever talk to your camera? I knew this Barn Swallow was not going to sit there long.

"Focus... focus on the bird. NO! NOT THE SCREEN! THE BIRD!"

Without saying too much, my husband quietly went out and removed the offending screen before I started yelling at the camera again.

• Like 1

http://www.flickr.co...N08/7376637082/

So close to being a decent shot with a point and click.

Yep you're right! That would have been quite a great shot had the bird not gotten in the way... :) Of course I am kidding. I like the leaf in front of the Towhee. Gives it the perspective that most of us would have if seeing it in the woods...

Yep you're right! That would have been quite a great shot had the bird not gotten in the way... :) Of course I am kidding. I like the leaf in front of the Towhee. Gives it the perspective that most of us would have if seeing it in the woods...

LOL, yeah that's the spirit! We can pretend we're heading into the woods with it on some grand adventure :)

• Like 1

IMG_8339.jpg

So close. I've learned to appreciate the missed-focus / Slow Shutter shots.

IMG_8154.jpg

I've also noticed that some birds (Norther Flickers) know your lens focal length and they like to stay just on the outside edge of your range.