Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Shoveler26

Any Lifers?

Hi,

I am going to make a Topic were Birders like me can tell what Lifers we have seen in the past week, Month, or Year! So to start it off, Today I saw My first Surf Scoter male in Breeding and if you want to give the location you saw the bird or the day (if you know) when you saw the bird For Example: my First Scoter was on 4/8/12 and in IN at Eagle Creek park!

Have Sooooo Much fun!
Shoveler26

• Like 3

Well, I got my 90th yard bird. It was a NRWS as you (shoveler, melissa) already know. Not a lifer but a nice bird. Seen on 4/8/12.

• Like 1

Just came back from the park, where we saw a Pied-billed Grebe and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. The grebe isn't a lifer, but the sapsucker was for me!! 4-8-12

Wow Cool I love when that happens!!!

Yeah but sure wish we would of gotten those chickens! But we did see a Killdeer laying on some eggs! (Killdeer not a lifer)

Got a lifer Chipping Sparrow yesterday. That is, after about two months of looking and a lot of White-crowned, Golden-crowned and Songs.

• Like 1

Yeah, me too! I have a ton of chippings around here - I have more than a dozen chipping sparrow nests in my bathroom - they're adorable!

I should add that I pick the nests up when they blow down in the fall, I don't have a dozen chipping sparrows nesting in my bathroom!

• Like 5

Believe it or not I need Chipping Sparrow on my yard list. . . they are on my life list though!

Saturday on Dauphin Island, AL I saw 5 life birds: grey-cheeked thrush, Swainson's thrush, Cerulean warbler, Blackburnian warbler, and blue-winged warbler.

Notable birds were: Prothonotary, black-and-white, worm-eating, Tennessee (by the hundreds), and yellow-throated warblers. Am. redstart, yellow-breasted chat, common yellowthroat, Louisiana waterthrush. Red-eyed and yellow-throated vireos. Orchard orioles by the hundreds. Indigo bunting, blue grosbeak, summer and scarlet tanagers.

It was an awesome day. Overwhelming at times.

• Like 1

Wow!!!!! Man take me with you!! (I will pay!) I am well behaved. . . J/k

Congrats!

• Like 1

I forgot to add swallow-tailed kite. I'm fortunate enough to see them fairly regularly, but most would love the chance to just see one. Forgot to add Kentucky warbler as well.

We talked to a few people there on Saturday and apparently it had been DEAD on the island in the days before with little to no bird activity.

People were showing up just to see the Cerulean warblers.

Finally laid eyes on my first American Woodcock on Saturday outside Front Royal, Virginia. I've heard them countless times, but this time I was lucky enough to spot the little guy!

This was a good week for my husband and me. We've seen 8 lifers in the past 7 days (see 1st 8 in signature list below) at three different sites around the Great Salt Lake. The Long-billed Curlews was the most fun to ID because they were way off in a like-colored field and we were only using binocs. (I resist getting a scope, but it would have really helped here). The Caspian Terns were nice also, at the tail end of a 6-hour day.

I've only seen a Woodcock once. It was outside of Princess Anne, MD after a snow storm and I guess the Woodcock had come to the plowed road to find food.

good guys thanks for Posting!! So I got a Lifer A while ago which was a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker but I hope tomorrow when I am going through IL but the next day I will be in St. Louis so I am hoping to see Eurasian Tree Sparrow!

This year the lifer's I've attained are:

1) American Black Duck - Richmond County, GA, January 16

2) Fox Sparrow - Richmond County, GA, February 26

3) Winter Wren - Richmond County, GA, February 26

4) Broad-winged Hawk - Richmond County, GA - March 30

5) Prothonotary Warbler - Richland County, SC - April 2

6) Prairie Warbler - Richland County, SC - April 2