Whatbird.com Community
Bigfoot

Posting Problems?, Please Report them here.

Not permitted to post jpg file under 1 MB

You will have to use an offsite file hosting service for your photos.  There is very little space here to save pictures and all users eventually have to use offsite storage.

Please see the post right above yours.  All users eventually have to use offsite photo hosting.  This is not a photo hosting site and there is very limited space for each user.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Pea Island Birder said:

Hi, a message pops up that says my attached photo can ply be .1MB?  Is that normal?  The smallest I can make my pics is .3MB?  Thanks.

We have a small allowance for photo uploads. Once you have used that up, you will need to post your photo on a photo hosting site (Imagr, Flicker, Facebook, etc.) and link to it here.

16 minutes ago, Phantom Bantam said:

Can I delete accidental duplicate posts??

No, you can't delete posts.  Double posts happen from time to time (even triple or quadruple posts), and I don't know if anyone really knows why. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phantom Bantam said:

Can I delete accidental duplicate posts??

You can ask  a moderator to delete the duplicate for you, or to merge the two threads together; but that depends on use being around when you need it done :D We will merge threads that are obvious duplicate posts, especially if there are responses in both threads, when we find them, but we don't delete posts unless requested by the poster.

Another good strategy to prevent confusion is to edit one of the posts (the one with no responses, if that applies) to indicate that it was an accidental duplicate; that will keep people from responding to both threads.

There was a time photos could be deleted.  Wish they'd bring back that feature.  There's no reason to store photos indefinitely.

16 minutes ago, KJS said:

There's no reason to store photos indefinitely.

Well, actually, there is; many, many people come to WhatBird through searches for specific birds, and posts here come up in the results. Even if they are several years old, these posts can be very helpful, but if the photos are gone they are far less useful and informative.

Having said that, the mods here don't have any control over this feature. I don't know for sure why it was removed.

• Like 1

I wrote to them "Contact Us," never heard back. 

Thanks, as I didn't think anyone would check out old messages.

Yeah, that doesn't come to us mods (we're just volunteers who help out with the day-to-day stuff). And it happens surprisingly often. People regularly add to threads that are years and years old. And of course there's no way to know how many read the old threads and get the info they need, and don't actually post.