Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Bigfoot

Posting Problems?, Please Report them here.

JimBob    10180

I can't open my PM box (sorry Owen!), and have to reload each page at least twice to post anything.

• Like 1

JimBob    10180

I opened 25 tabs of whatbird threads, and out of those, 15 came up as errors. (60%) What the heck is up?

Alyah    59

For me, the errors seem to happen the most in the morning. Today I was on between 8:30ish and 9:00ish and counted about 40 errors. I only got three this afternoon.

Also, does anyone else have trouble with pictures loading on this site? I keep having them load partially or just as black rectangles. It seems to be connected with certain users and it eventually leads to a full-blown computer crash. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Whatbird or if it's just my computer doing something wonky.

LarryTheCoder    408

After, as I recall, a problem free morning on Whatbird, issues began again at approx. 13:00 EDT.  And something new, "refresh" did not seem to work.

_Kim_    776

I was now just able to log in ok, but this morning and the last several days, I've been getting a lot of the error messages often after a long wait for anything to occur.

KeithL    76

I've always received some database errors on this site but they have greatly increased lately and the site is becoming slower and slower as well.

_Kim_    776

I use Firefox and the little whirlygig will turn red when it is almost done loading a page. What I've been doing if it is stuck on grey for awhile, is just reload the page. Not always, but often it will do a better job the second or third time around.

JimBob    10180

I just did another one of my scientific tests... 20% of the tabs I opened gave me server errors.

• Like 1

Aveschapines    2098

Still getting lots of errors too, and have been unable to do some things - click a like, respond to a post  - because of the constant error messages.  I got a post triple posted yesterday. At times I can't get on the site at all.  No scientific tests, but about half the time I try to do something, I get the error message.

chiccadee    6790

If it helps any to know, I have very little driver problems on my computer using Chrome, opened ten tabs and all were fine but took a ridiculous amount of time to load. More errors when using Safari on an iPad. The only problem is that Whatbird has had for me lately is being extremely slow.

Owen    6671

If it helps any to know, I have very little driver problems on my computer using Chrome, opened ten tabs and all were fine but took a ridiculous amount of time to load. More errors when using Safari on an iPad. The only problem is that Whatbird has had for me lately is being extremely slow.

Seconded.

On my mac using chrome, Whatbird is just annoyingly slow. It takes a few tries and refreshes to open my PM box and notifications. I often have to refresh the page twice to post. This happens so much now that before posting, I copy all the text so that if it doesn't post the first time, I can refresh the page, paste the text, and post again. I haven't gotten a driver error yet -- and I'm pretty active!

The first time I tried to post this, it didn't work. Thank gosh that I copied the text. I added this after it didn't work the first time.

Aveschapines    2098

I use Chrome/Windows 7, and I've had tons of problems.  I've also developed the habit of copying my messages before I post in case they don't go through.

deekat    0

Hey! I am a new member :) I don't know if this is where I should ask, but I just posted a new topic and then, after posting, realized I forgot to state where I live to help identify the bird! D'oh! 

Is there a way to edit my post after it's been submitted, but before it gets approved? Many thanks :)

jhauser42    875

Hey! I am a new member :) I don't know if this is where I should ask, but I just posted a new topic and then, after posting, realized I forgot to state where I live to help identify the bird! D'oh! 

Is there a way to edit my post after it's been submitted, but before it gets approved? Many thanks :)

You should be able to go back to your posts and click the edit button.  Your post is also now approved so it should be no issue to edit it or to add a new post to it.

_Kim_    776

I use Firefox and the little whirlygig will turn red when it is almost done loading a page. What I've been doing if it is stuck on grey for awhile, is just reload the page. Not always, but often it will do a better job the second or third time around.

I just wanted to say that today the site is running very smoothly.  No reloads needed and no driver errors.  YAY!  So who ever did something, if anything, Thank you!

• Like 1

Joejr14    1818

Not a single error for me this morning or this afternoon!

Me either.  Website is fast today too. 

-Easton-    1905

I have been getting multiple errors everyday for the past week. Been super slow and not letting me post. Have to refresh 4 times to click on a thread and to post.

-Easton-    1905

Seconded.

On my mac using chrome, Whatbird is just annoyingly slow. It takes a few tries and refreshes to open my PM box and notifications. I often have to refresh the page twice to post. This happens so much now that before posting, I copy all the text so that if it doesn't post the first time, I can refresh the page, paste the text, and post again. I haven't gotten a driver error yet -- and I'm pretty active!

The first time I tried to post this, it didn't work. Thank gosh that I copied the text. I added this after it didn't work the first time.

I am on chrome and it is slow like yours but I also get the DB errors. 

I hope this is the right place to ask this.  I've tried to post an identification question with a photo for the last few days but I get the message at Attach Files, "You can upload up to 9.22 KB of files"!!!  Which of course is impossibly small.  I looked to see if I could delete photos from my previous posts, since I seem to remember there may be an overall limit of photo space per account, but I don't see a delete option on the older photos anyway.  Any suggestions??