Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Bigfoot

Posting Problems?, Please Report them here.

Fancy    4990

I hope this is the right place to ask this.  I've tried to post an identification question with a photo for the last few days but I get the message at Attach Files, "You can upload up to 9.22 KB of files"!!!  Which of course is impossibly small.  I looked to see if I could delete photos from my previous posts, since I seem to remember there may be an overall limit of photo space per account, but I don't see a delete option on the older photos anyway.  Any suggestions??

Yes, the amount allowed is very small. If you want to delete photos, you can...

1. Go to your Profile

2. Click 'Edit my Profile' on the righthand side of your profile

3. Look down on the lefthand side to where it says 'Manage Attachments'

4. Then you can just delete the photos you want by selecting them and clicking 'Delete Selected'.

You can also edit your posts and delete the photos that way.

Or you could get a photo hosting site such as Imgur, Flickr, Photobucket, etc., and post photos from there. That would be better if someone ever wanted to go back to the topic and see the photo. 

Aveschapines    2098

I hope this is the right place to ask this.  I've tried to post an identification question with a photo for the last few days but I get the message at Attach Files, "You can upload up to 9.22 KB of files"!!!  Which of course is impossibly small.  I looked to see if I could delete photos from my previous posts, since I seem to remember there may be an overall limit of photo space per account, but I don't see a delete option on the older photos anyway.  Any suggestions??

We do get a very small amount of space for uploading photos directly, so those of us who are regular users of the forum upload our photos to a photo hosting site like flickr, imagur, photobucket, etc. and then link them here.  WhatBird prefers that you not delete photos from old threads, because people often find them in internet searches, and without photos they are less useful.

RedQueen1    0

I don't know how to ask for help since there doesn't seem to be a link to just get help from a moderator so I'll send this out.  If I can't get some help I'll just fold my membership.  I was thrilled to see a forum like this.  I got a new camera and have really enjoyed photographing birds and would like to identify them but your site seems intent on making it ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to upload a picture of correct size.  Both times I tried to resize and post they were abject failures and when I go to imgur (at your sites suggestion) your site says I am not allowed to use the file extension Imgur gave for my photo.  Any forum is only as good as the weakest member (sort of like a chain) and if you structure this thing so it's not user friendly people like me will simply bail rather than finding themselves frustrated to the point of needing a drink.  Why does this have to be so freakin' difficult?  If I didn't have to upload a pic it would be fine but how do you describe a bird which you can't identify in the first place and if identification is dependent on the words I use and I'm wrong then the identification will be wrong too...I've been on here for over an hour, back and forth to try to resize pics and then to imgur and have that fail too.  I'm really frustrated...should I just go away?

Bigfoot    4325

Red Queen

Welcome to Whatbird.  It is easy to attach photos, just they cannot be large ones, if you size them to about 250 Kb then they post fine.  You can use ingur and that works fine.  Go to FAQ's and read the second post and it will give you instructions.

Bigfoot

Whatbird Moderator

jhauser42    875

I don't know how to ask for help since there doesn't seem to be a link to just get help from a moderator so I'll send this out.  If I can't get some help I'll just fold my membership.  I was thrilled to see a forum like this.  I got a new camera and have really enjoyed photographing birds and would like to identify them but your site seems intent on making it ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to upload a picture of correct size.  Both times I tried to resize and post they were abject failures and when I go to imgur (at your sites suggestion) your site says I am not allowed to use the file extension Imgur gave for my photo.  Any forum is only as good as the weakest member (sort of like a chain) and if you structure this thing so it's not user friendly people like me will simply bail rather than finding themselves frustrated to the point of needing a drink.  Why does this have to be so freakin' difficult?  If I didn't have to upload a pic it would be fine but how do you describe a bird which you can't identify in the first place and if identification is dependent on the words I use and I'm wrong then the identification will be wrong too...I've been on here for over an hour, back and forth to try to resize pics and then to imgur and have that fail too.  I'm really frustrated...should I just go away?

Hello and welcome to Whatbird!  I do not use Imgur but many people do use it with success to host the photos that they post to here.  I use Photobucket and find that one to be the simplest.

The problem you are having with a bad file extension may not be what you think it is.  If you are using IE 11 there are known issues about people posting to forums, including this one and others.  I know when I try to use IE 11 to put a link here it does not work properly and sometimes gives the invalid file extension error.  Both Firefox and Chrome work much better.

Joe

• Like 1

Aveschapines    2098

Also, you don't have to use Imagur; you can use any other photo hosting site like flickr, photobucket, picassa, or even Facebook. Just make sure you're using the direct link to the photo when you copy and paste the URL.

You can use smaller photos and upload them directly, but if you're planning to stay for a while, you'll soon run out of space, since the global upload limit is low.

• Like 1

Bigfoot    4325

Lets see if they get bad again, I hate to impose on our engineer unless the problem becomes, more than just "occasional"

Are the DB errors the same message as before?

BF

Bigfoot    4325

I can't post either and it looks like I need moderator approval.  I would be happy to ask for approval if I knew how.

Welcome to Whatbird

The first few posts require manual Moderator Approval, to make sure that our Forums stay as Spam Free as possible.  Some times the Mods are not available and it takes a little longer to get the approval, but you are good now and post away.

Bigfoot

Whatbird Moderator

jhauser42    875

Do I need to get moderator approval before I can post an inquiry?  If so, how?

I see that your post has been approved and is available for others to see.  I do not have an answer for you but someone will be along to help you out!

threeofhardts    701

I just posted in the Reporting forum about a malware warning I've been receiving while using Google Chrome.  Have never had this happen before.  Here's the page I get when I try to visit Whatbird.com.

malware_warning_09-17-14.jpg

Right now I'm using an old version of IE and am not receiving the warning.

• Like 1

This is the initial error I'm getting..

whatbirderror.jpg

When I click the "Why was this page blocked?" button, I get this...

whatbirderror2.jpg

I'm using Firefox, but the problem seems to be that the site is flagged by Google as malicious.  The second image says you can contact Google to have your page reviewed.  They may be able to direct you to the pages (64 of them) that they found to be performing malicious actions.  Anyway, maybe you can get it straightened out so the site is no longer flagged.

millipede    114

Anyone able to do some hunting on this?  Preferably anyone that is well protected.  I'm by not means an expert or perfect but, I have decent protection including using an addon called noScript which stops scripts from even being run without permission.
My THEORY(could be wrong) is if I looked at enough pages throughout whatbird, I might find a script trying to run from that site...  It's just a theory though.

odd thing here.......  
That warning from google shows that at least 9 pages on whatbird.com have "downloaded and installed" content without user permission... meaning, when they go to those 9 pages, something is automatically installed...  The report says that the offending software is coming from perkinso.com
I decided to try and visit that site...  Got a report there... the google report there shows NO offense except that it has infected whatbird.com.  So, this issue may be between the two sites alone?  That would be really odd.  I tried to load that page anyway and it said it timed out or couldn't reach the server or some sort of thing like that... basically, there was no content there. 
That website is hosted in China by a registrar that seems to host nothing but bad domains... So, I'd say it's safe to assume that anything from perkinso.com IS bad and unwanted.

So... my theory is that if I visit enough pages and can find these 9 pages, something from perkinso.com would try to run on my computer and, theoretically, noScript and avast would prevent it for me... :)
Of course...  if we had the webmaster for all of whatbird.com here in the conversation, they might be able to search through their files more easily than that?  I'd think so anyway.

at any rate... somewhere on whatbird.com are at least 9 pages where perkinso.com has infected, one way or another.  And it needs to be found. 

I hate spam, scams, and malware by the way... I wish the people that come up with that garbage would do something more productive with their time and talent...