Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Bigfoot

Posting Problems?, Please Report them here.

The Engineer and the Forums Hosting People have found a problem and have corrected this, we believe.  There may be some time before Google cna review the site, scan it for Malware and remove all the warnings, so please be patient.

Bigfoot

• Like 1

Whatbird was attacked, and now the threat is removed.  The warnings will continue until Google has the time to rescan the forums and determine to their satisfaction that the Malware is removed.

We apologize for the scare and inconvenience.  We believe that the Malware was not in any post or Topic but embedded in the forum skins.  The skins have been replaced and the cashes cleaned.

Bigfoot

• Like 4

Great, Bigfoot! It really is creepy to think that there are people out there attacking sites, including birding sites.

• Like 1

And just for informational purposes I got the message when going to the main whatbird page, not the forums.  Of course, Google may have flagged the entire site even if the issue was just in the forums.

Google has spun their magic on Whatbird.com indicating the results of our actions and we are no longer listed as a "Site that may Harm your Computer"

BF

• Like 3

I just posted in the Reporting forum about a malware warning I've been receiving while using Google Chrome.  Have never had this happen before.  Here's the page I get when I try to visit Whatbird.com.

malware_warning_09-17-14.jpg

Right now I'm using an old version of IE and am not receiving the warning.

I was getting the same message (but in Spanish) consistently from Tuesday night on; it let me in now (first time I've been able to check today). I was trying to go directly to the forums, as is my habit. The warnings about overriding this block and entering the page anyway were sufficient to keep me out  :o

Thanks Bigfoot and others for being on top of this!  Glad you saved WhatBird's skin  :P  ;)  :lol:

• Like 1

And just for informational purposes I got the message when going to the main whatbird page, not the forums.  Of course, Google may have flagged the entire site even if the issue was just in the forums.

Joe

I think that is what they did, on my Safari Browser, I could not even open the site, not logged in, or view the opening page without getting the warnings.

Bigfoot

Great, Bigfoot! It really is creepy to think that there are people out there attacking sites, including birding sites.

I don't think the attackers really care what the intention of the site is, I think they just attack any site....

Would anyone be able to tell me how to reduce the size of my pictures so I can attach them to the forums here,please,and thanks.

Would anyone be able to tell me how to reduce the size of my pictures so I can attach them to the forums here,please,and thanks.

What operating system are you using?

If you use windows, you can resize images in Paint.

Right click the image>Edit>Resize.

You can resize by percent or pixels

What most people do is to use an off-site photo storage like Flickr or Photobucket and link to the pictures.  I prefer Photobucket.  This way you can have the full sized pictures.  You also have a VERY small amount of storage here for photos so you would need to constantly delete and add new ones.  This is also frustrating for people that go back to look at old threads and see that the picture is no longer there.

I tried to update my member name and I got this error: "If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again."  Refreshing several times didn't help.  :(

I tried to update my member name and I got this error: "If you are seeing this page, it means there was a problem communicating with our database. Sometimes this error is temporary and will go away when you refresh the page. Sometimes the error will need to be fixed by an administrator before the site will become accessible again."  Refreshing several times didn't help.  :(

Lisa

Thank you for this report, we will have to see if this recurs and becomes a problem.  It sounds like a problem that we had, maybe a year ago, that had to be fixed.  Please keep us informed, as well as any others that get this message in the forums.

Bigfoot

Lisa

Thank you for this report, we will have to see if this recurs and becomes a problem.  It sounds like a problem that we had, maybe a year ago, that had to be fixed.  Please keep us informed, as well as any others that get this message in the forums.

Bigfoot

I just tried again and it still didn't work.  I wonder if anyone else is having the problem.

I just got an error report. It wouldn't even let me on the site until now.

I also got a Database error earlier this evening, not associated with this website but iBird sites.  Maybe some maintenance, let me know if problems continue.

Bigfoot

I can't post in the forums at all. The post just doesn't appear.

The first few posts need Moderator Approval, even Bigfoot takes time off for Thanksgiving.

Bigfoot

• Like 1

I can't post in the forums at all. The post just doesn't appear.

Welcome to Whatbird!

I was just about to post the same thing to you and Bigfoot beat me to it.  I am sure someone will get to your id question soon.

Dan

They are not, they are limited to 2 Mb, but Attachment space is limited on this site, sooner or later you will have to use Remote Posting as is described in the second post of the FAQ's.  But for now you are fine.

Bigfoot