Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Bigfoot

Posting Problems?, Please Report them here.

I can't change my member's title. Can you please do it for me? I want to make sure it is all on one line though and doesn't cut below it, so if it does, is it alright if I come back and ask to change it again? I think it will probably make another line below it, so I will see what plain "whipperwills and diving thrills" does too if that is alright.

"Chief of whipperwills & diving thrills"

Hi. I am new to what bird. I have been trying to post photos but it always says they are too big. How do I reduce the quality? I tried right clicking and nothing happened.

Hi. I am new to what bird. I have been trying to post photos but it always says they are too big. How do I reduce the quality? I tried right clicking and nothing happened.

Vancouver

Any one post must be smaller than 2 Mb, but you only need about 200-300 Kb of size for forum resolution.  Photoshop can reduce the size, and any number of free online programs can help you reduce the size.  Probably other members will help you with recommendations.

Bigfoot

BigFoot -- Can you please give me the option to change Member Title -- I don't seem to have that option.

I believe that option arrives on your 500th post, but I can change to for you if you want.

BF

That would be great, BigFoot!   :)

Well you have to give me a hint of what you want it changed to...

BF

• Like 2

Ohhhhhh.  I hadn't thought of that!  :unsure:  I'll get back to you on that. 

In the meantime, can you please tell me how I can point to a single image on Flickr. Flickr apparently doesn't allow a "copy image URL."  I can point to one of my albums, but not to a single image. 

Oh!  I *just* got what your name and title mean!  (They don't call me slow for nuthin'!)

Actually I do not know about Flickr.

There is instruction about Imgur here.

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/77481-please-read-new-forums-faq/?p=299184

I'll bet there are others here that can help with the Flickr Account info.

Bigfoot

Hmmm. It only gives a thumbnail. I was hoping to just embed a picture rather than have a thumbnail pointing to an open-new-page link.

Do you recommend that we just upload the file instead?

You can upload the file for a while, until you run out of space.  Even the Forum files are thumbnails until you click on them, and then they get bigger.

BF

Hmmm. It only gives a thumbnail. I was hoping to just embed a picture rather than have a thumbnail pointing to an open-new-page link.

Do you recommend that we just upload the file instead?

In the share page at Flickr there is a window above the window that gives you the BBC code; that top window allows you to choose a size. (I usually use one or the other of the two "medium" size options.)

Big Foot:

How 'bout this for a title that simply explains the picture?

"My Bird Guide and Me"

Thanks for bigfooting for us.  (When you go out for dinner, do you bigfoot the bill?)   :P

I do go to dinners and I use my Bigfoot to Punt the Bills.

BF

And Who the Heck is goinna challenge me, an 8 foot big Guy at 385 pounds, lean and hungry.

BF

• Like 1

Hello Bigfoot,

I don't think I have the option to update my profile.  I tried searching the help files and the instructions are not applicable because my options are different.  When I click on my profile and then select Edit my Profile on the right I am taken to my settings but there is no option to update my age, sex, location, etc.

I wouldn't think a specific number of posts would be required to update this information but please let me know if that is the case.  Thanks.

Greg

The Forums have controls on new members, to keep the spammers from flooding the Forums.  The first few posts from any member are manually approved by Moderators.  Until the first few posts are made and approved, the members do not have permission to modify their profile.  Try now and see if you can edit your profile.

Bigfoot

• Like 1

I am a new user and made a post earlier today, but it has not shown up. It says I have 3 more posts, but I don't want to duplicate my original post. Am I doing something wrong? I needed to ID a duck that I think is a Horned Grebe, and I uploaded a pic of it, when will my post show up?

I am a new user and made a post earlier today, but it has not shown up. It says I have 3 more posts, but I don't want to duplicate my original post. Am I doing something wrong? I needed to ID a duck that I think is a Horned Grebe, and I uploaded a pic of it, when will my post show up?

Your first 2 posts have to be approved my a moderator.  That is now done and I am sure you will get an answer to your question fairly quickly.

A moderator has to look at new posts an verify that they're not spam, so the time until approval varies. Glad yours got attended to relatively quickly.  This is inconvenient for new members, but has eliminated the problems we used to have with constant spam on the site. 

Welcome to WhatBird!