Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
meghann

Suet bad for dogs?

My dog has her annual checkup tomorrow, and I can ask for sure then. But. . .anyone ever have their dog get into the suet? Mine got a block of it out of a grocery sack and ate about 1/3 of the block. I know there's nothing harmful in it for her, but wondering if I should expect some um, "interesting" digestive events.

Oh my! I just did a quick Google search because I have no experience with this. One lady took her dog to the vet after the dog ate a whole block. The vet said the dog may throw up or #2 a little more. Others on that forum were concerned the excess fat could lead to pancreatitus. Other forums people said their dogs had no problems.

We have a dog, but he's not ever gone after the suet. I hope all turns out ok with your dog. I would think so, since it was not a full block. I guess if something like this happens, it was good timing.

Thanks! Yeah, she's never gone after it before, either, so I thought nothing of leaving the sack with the bird stuff on the floor. Guess I won't be doing that again! She had to tear open the package and everything. Goofy dog.

I've left the bags on the floor, so I should be more careful. I guess this proves how good a dog's nose is. Our dog shows interest in the bags of peanuts until we can get the nuts into a rubbermaid, but we usually can shoo him away.

My dog will scrounge under the feeder for anything that has dropped off the suet blocks. He has never eaten much, but he would if I let him. He also likes those "Bluebird Pellets" that some stores sell. He thinks they are little treats for him. Never had any kind of problem with his ....insides. But he has never eaten a lot

There was one time I was cleaning out the suet feeder and some fell on the ground. My dog grabbed it and ran off and ate it but he wouldn't let anybody take it from him.

My 12 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback/Greyhound mix has just eaten 2 x 11 oz packets of bird suet. Is it panic time, vet time or this too will pass time? She's not showing any symptoms of unease.

When we used the square-cage style suet feeders, large chunks would fall to the ground.  They played havok with both ends of my 14-pound terrier's digestive system.

We switched to one of the cylindrical-cage feeders.  This particular model has a catch tray on the bottom so nothing falls to the ground.  Also, the mesh openings are too small for large chunks of suet to fall out.  This style of feeder is intended for those overpriced suet balls.  I slice a regular suet cake into half-inch strips and they stuff down into the cylinder very nicely.  ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simeon said:

My 12 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback/Greyhound mix has just eaten 2 x 11 oz packets of bird suet. Is it panic time, vet time or this too will pass time? She's not showing any symptoms of unease.

I think the amount of fat is a concern, but not necessarily panic. If she starts to have diarrhea, take her in to be looked at to rule out pancreatitis. 

From what I remember 5 years ago, my dog was ok. She had a lot harder time after eating the entire Easter ham the following year. :blink:

My 10 year old Golden Retriever jumped up high enough to reach and pull the basket down from a shepherd's hook.  She chewed and mangled it open and proceeded to eat the entire contents.  It was a homemade block that I made with peanut butter, bacon grease, oatmeal and lots of birdseed.  She loved it so much that she frequently polices the area under the tree where I have it now (only much higher!). She was unaffected by her mischievous feast.  It went straight through her system.