Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
sailormom64

What is the best mealworm feeder for bluebirds

My nesting pair has 3 eggs so far, and I have never attempted to feed mealworms but I really only want to feed the bluebirds these. I don't mind if the chickadees and titmice get a few too, but I definitely want to keep the mocking birds out. I looked at a couple of options, would like to know the best one for bluebirds though. Thanks

I have been considering adding mealworms to my arsenal of food in the hopes of luring the bluebirds closer to the house, but never really did more than consider it until I saw your query about the best mealworm feeders. The fact of the matter is, I had no idea there were actual feeders designed for mealworms and was thinking I'd just end up serving them in a shallow bowl if/when I ever actually get any. Your question made me curious enough to do a quick search. The first page I checked out seemed to have a solution for keeping the larger birds out. It might not be pretty, but the basic idea seems practical and it looks like it'd be fairly easy to improvise something similar if you're feeling creative. http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/british-birds/51263-best-way-feed-mealworms-smaller-birds.html

this is one i built from scraps last week because the magpies and starlings were raiding all the mealworms and grape jelly. if i had to do it over i would have used wire with a little smaller holes as one starling can squeezeemptycage.jpg its way in

dklucius I do admire your craftiness, and I may attempt to create a feeder like yours one of these days! For now I decided to purchase this one http://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Mini-Bluebird-Cage-Feeder and it doesn't even have any reviews so far to go by, so I guess I will be the first! I will report back after we give it a try. And thank you lonestranger for your input, this feeder I ordered is of similar nature and I am sure I could create one but...for now I just figured I would order one and see how it goes!

While there are many nice mealworm feeders on the market (I should know :) ), we made our own. This has plexiglass in the front so we can watch and the holes are 1 1/2 inch for the bluebirds and other small birds. The Carolina Wrens love this.

076.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you spyonabird, I should have my feeder here this week. BTW you ought to produce those feeders and sell them, they look perfect! That is what I was looking for but in my search I didn't find that type of feeder. That is the kind I described to hubby when I said I wanted to get one and when searching for one that style did not come up. I had seen pictures of one with holes that a bluebird or some smaller birds could enter to get the mealworms and keep out the larger birds. I would definitely buy one of yours!!

thanks for the compliment.

20 or so years ago there was a show on TV called the Red Green Show. One of the classic lines from that show was "It's better to be handy than handsome" I am lucky that my other half is both. :D

• Like 1

I just feed them on platform feeders. Common Grackles pig out then. . . So I guess not the best.

http://www.flickr.co...N05/7184475865/

this is the feeder I use for meal worms. It has small entry holes on both ends and originally had plexiglass on both sides but the bluebirds couldn't seem to figure it out while the Carolina wrens were having a field day. So I took out one plexiglass panel and it has been great. Although I have had real grackle problems at my seed/suet feeder they have ignored this feeder as have the blue jays. The only large birds that feed here are an occasional mocking bird or brown thrasher (only once for a thrasher). The wrens and titmice come by for the odd worm but the bluebirds pretty much keep the area policed. I feed roasted meal worms from the local Ace Hardware except when the blue birds hatch. Then I feed live ones until they fledge.

i don't get the bluebirds here in my yard they hang out more down in the valleys and around farm houses and orchards and fields close to trees. but i do get lots of orioles and tanagers and grosbeaks and titmice that love meal worms. so with the cage i can buy the dry meal worms at the local big box store. i soak them overnight with water and some meat drippings or beef broth and they plump up and the birds eat them well. without the cage the starlings and magpies and jays would run off the other birds and wipe out the mealworms. one starling does squeeze into the cage occasionally an get some but i try to keep it scared away.