Whatbird Community Board
goofy166

How to Use the iBird Search

Hi,

I am surprised to see there are no replies to this topic. Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

I am a beginner in using the search features and have a question:

Sometimes when I search I feel that my bird should have been included in an attribute, but it is often hard to check this. Is there any way to choose a bird then see what attributes it has? Kind of a reverse search.

For instance the osprey is not included in the habitat oceans or coasts, but is included in lakes,rivers and ponds. It would be nice once I identified the osprey (despite it not being listed under the attributes I first chose) to be able to see what attributes I should have chosen.

Jon

I have thought the same thing. sure would be a great addition. If nothing else, people would be able to "check" the info.

However, I am sure there will be more than one debate over what the correct attributes should be! Maybe that's why it isn't available! ;)

Hi,

I am surprised to see there are no replies to this topic. Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this post.

Sometimes when I search I feel that my bird should have been included in an attribute, but it is often hard to check this. Is there any way to choose a bird then see what attributes it has? Kind of a reverse search.

For instance the osprey is not included in the habitat oceans or coasts, but is included in lakes,rivers and ponds. It would be nice once I identified the osprey (despite it not being listed under the attributes I first chose) to be able to see what attributes I should have chosen.

Jon

Jon this is a good idea. However there is indeed a reason we don't have this feature and I'm afraid as a customer you won't like it. What you are describing is essentially a way to see what assignments we made for every species. You'd like to see a page that listed all the locations for the Osprey, all the Color assigned to it, the unique habitats, head patterns etc. The problem is that data, those assignments, represent a tremendous amount of research and considerable cost on our part. They make up the intellectual property of our app's content. If we were to offer this information we would essential be handing it to our competitors and to anyone who wanted to build a competing app. It's kind of like if Apple was to publish the source code for the iPhone. That may not be a perfect analogy but it fits into the same category. Hope this helps.

And FYI we are constantly tweaking the assignments because birds move around so much.

I was just reading the Search Attributes page and noticed the Color Prominent attribute only applies to the males.

I struggle with identifying nondescript birds, especially if there are no males around for context. Any tips for searching when there's the possibility the bird in question might be a female?

I was just reading the Search Attributes page and noticed the Color Prominent attribute only applies to the males.

I struggle with identifying nondescript birds, especially if there are no males around for context. Any tips for searching when there's the possibility the bird in question might be a female?

Bertrice

I don't know if there is a solution to this question.  In birds usually the Male is the most colorfully marked and the search engines can do a better job focusing on the more colorful.  The females are much the same for many bird species, and really give the search engine very little to search on, with respect to attributes.

So for now, it is the Male for the identification.

Bigfoot

• Like 1

When I use the IBird app on my Android phone, I see the icons and a place to type in a name, but it is hard to find the search area. Is there an easy way to bring the search menu up? 

When I use the IBird app on my Android phone, I see the icons and a place to type in a name, but it is hard to find the search area. Is there an easy way to bring the search menu up? 

While you have the iBird App open, at the bottom line of the phone, NOT within the iBird screen but the system button at the bottom left of the phone, tap that and the options to Search, Favorites and More become available.

Hope this helps.

Bigfoot

Hi,

Jon

Dear hiker_jon - you can get the answer to what you may have missed in your search attributes by going to the Identify page of whatever species you felt should have been matched in your search. So for example under "Body" for the Abert's Towhee you will see (this is from the Identify tab on the whatbird.com species pages but they use the same database so you can even use these pages as your guide):

• Length Range: 24 cm (9.5 in)
  • Weight: 48 g (1.7 oz)
  • Size: Medium (9 - 16 in)
  • Color Primary: Brown, Gray
  • Underparts: Pale gray-brown with red-brown undertail coverts.
  • Upperparts: Gray-brown
  • Back Pattern: Solid
  • Belly Pattern: Solid
  • Breast Pattern: Solid

http://offline.whatbird.com/obj/1011/identification/Aberts_Towhee.aspx

These are the same values that are used for Size, Color Primary, etc. There is also Head and Flight categories. These are not always perfect matches but pretty close.

I just installed iBird Pro on my husband's Samsung Android phone.  I can't find the Seach and other icons at the bottom of the screen, although they are perfectly visible on my iPhone.  What do you suggest?

Sarah

Smccarty

Search

While you have the iBird App open, at the bottom line of the phone, NOT within the iBird screen but the system button at the bottom left of the phone, tap that and the options to Search, Favorites and More become available.

Newer devices use a different button, the two envelopes, hold this button down for two seconds and the features will be shown.

Hope this helps.

Bigfoot

Is there any version of ibird where you can search by the sound /call of the birds? I hear this bird everyday, but I couldn't find it. I have not been able to find a matching bird song/call yet using Ibird plus.

Is there any version of ibird where you can search by the sound /call of the birds? I hear this bird everyday, but I couldn't find it. I have not been able to find a matching bird song/call yet using Ibird plus.

OakPark

There is no iBird App that uses bird calls to establish the identity of a bird.

Bird Song Recognition.

This has been recommended and is being studied.  But the technology is not there yet, you need lots of memory and lots of CPU to do this, and that is limited in hand held devices, also, the birds have dialects in different parts of the country.  This is being studied but we are not there yet.  Bird song is much more complex than Human Speech, and music is simpler yet.

Bigfoot

I have a question..... I purchased ibird pro to use on my nexus 7. Later, I bought a Samsung galaxy because the nexus 7 broke, and installed the app on the new tablet. On the new tablet, I cannot do a search.... only browse. There is the word "browse" at the top left of the screen, but touching it won't toggle it back and forth from browse to search. Any ideas? The app is nearly useless to me without a search function.

Also, my version is 3.1. Has there been an android update? If so, how do I get it?

WoodsWooman

Search

Newer devices use a different button, the two envelopes, with the App open, hold this button down for two seconds and release and the features will be shown.

Hope this helps.

Bigfoot

WoodsWooman

Search

Newer devices use a different button, the two envelopes, with the App open, hold this button down for two seconds and release and the features will be shown.

Hope this helps.

Bigfoot

On my tablet the bottom left is a button that when pushed, displays the last apps open. There is no menu button on this tablet. Any other suggestions?

WoodsWoman

There is some way for you to access the"System", usually it is a button, whether marked or not, sometimes it has two envelopes, sometimes not.  But there is a way to get to the System.  Find this button, press and release after 2 seconds and the search features are opened.

How many buttons do you have on your tablet?

Bigfoot

I downloaded ibird Pro onto my tablet but I cannot find anywhere to search birds. It seems to be permanently in browse mode and not showing a menu for other options. I originally had the ibird Pro on another tablet and I remember it was easy to do searches, etc. Is it possible the complete app did not download? Or am I missing something quite simple but I just don't see it? Where should the menu be found for searching? Thank you!

Please disregard my first post. I found my answer. I apologize, I thought I had scrolled through everything but had not. Thank you for this forum.

For Gray Catbird, shouldn't Crown color attribute include black? It is listed as black in field descriptions, and appears black in photos and fiels observations. I saw this bird, and had trouble ID'ing it until I stopped using Crown Color search attribute. Thank you.

For Gray Catbird, shouldn't Crown color attribute include black? It is listed as black in field descriptions, and appears black in photos and fiels observations. I saw this bird, and had trouble ID'ing it until I stopped using Crown Color search attribute. Thank you.

Well maybe it should.

If you look at the Identify tab, this will show you all the features that will show up in the search, and the Crown color is listed as Blue or Gray.  Maybe the real color is blue, but it looks black to me.  At least the portrait looks black.  I'll send your query to the group in charge for review.

Bigfoot