• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
EyesOnTheSky

Your current nemesis bird...

165 posts in this topic

Yellow Billed Cuckoo and Scarlet Tanager. The first is a difficult catch. The Tanager should not be as difficult as it is being.

Where are you EyesOnTheSky? Those are both birds I caught here in the Maryland area in the past two or three months not that is really helpful...

For me right now I think it is Common Nighthawk, Great Horned Owl (though I know a nesting site now so as long as they show up again this one will fall), Wood Thrush, Veery... Honestly, this spring and summer were very good to me. I started my checklist / life list in May 2012 and after back filling from my photography (if I remembered the exact location) I started May 1, 2012 with 23 birds on the roster. I saw number 174 today so I don't think I can complain too loudly over the few birds I have looked for and not found.

Yellow-throated Warbler. Heard them lots in Missouri, but I never saw them. I think I'll have to be VERY, VERY, lucky to see one in California.

Benjamin - A little late, but the state fair is always a sure bet for nighthawks. Every year, I see a bunch fly over while I'm at the fair! Also, remember that owls nest really early, like in Feb, I believe, so start looking early!

My nemesis isn't one I have never seen. I in fact see it regularly (pretty much everyday) It is my Nemesis because I don't seem to be able to get a really good photograph of one. My nemesis bird is the American Kestrel. It is such a cool looking bird but I have yet to capture how cool it is in a photo.

I keep a bucket list, so my nemesises (nemesi?) are many, but I really really need to find a Horned Grebe this year.

Yellow-throated Warbler. Heard them lots in Missouri, but I never saw them. I think I'll have to be VERY, VERY, lucky to see one in California.

There was one in 'Frisco just a couple weeks ago. So it's not impossible. ;)

Indigo bunting and painted bunting, and barred owls, which I've seen at night in the dark, but I would like to get a good daytime view of one. (Liam, I know, I know, I just need to get down to Phinizy. My husband will be in town next weekend, and I'm thinking of going birding alone on the 14th.)

....still haven't seen a chipping sparrow. Nor a blue-grey gnatcatcher. Apparently there's always one around according to birders I talk with at a particular park, it must have cloaking device on. Still never seen one.

JimBob, There was one at my local lake for about a month two years ago. So they do show up from time to time.

House Sparrow ;)

I know this is not what you all mean, but when finding a specific bird became stressful for us, we decided to not fret about a certain bird any longer. That one bird was the Snowy Owl. It was getting pretty frustrating when we heard of local birders finding multiple Snowys. We finally did see it, and were thrilled, but we're not searching for any bird like that again. It kind of made birding a little less fun for us when we obsessed over one bird, rather than enjoy what was always around us.

We had a wish list bird- the Savannah sparrow and it took time, but a couple finally came to our feeding area. There's nothing specific right now that we wish for, except the youngest (age 5), he wants to see a Western Scrub-jay. For some reason, he thinks that is a cool bird. I wouldn't mind seeing one myself, but we are not in the right part of the country.

1 person likes this

....still haven't seen a chipping sparrow. Nor a blue-grey gnatcatcher. Apparently there's always one around according to birders I talk with at a particular park, it must have cloaking device on. Still never seen one.

I remember it taking seemingly too long to finally locate a BGGN.

There was one in 'Frisco just a couple weeks ago

Exactly why I said very lucky.

A verified, certified, authenticated, documented, Rufous Hummingbird. I've seen a ton of Allen's. Oh, and a Long-eared Owl.

Finally got my nemesis Pileated Woodpecker. The new nemesis isn't as obvious, but maybe a Cassin's Vireo. Another bird that still has eluded me for some reason is a Western Screech-Owl.

Finally got my nemesis Pileated Woodpecker.

Congrats! My wife had the hardest time finding her first one. To the point where she shed a couple tears of relief when she finally saw one. And they are fairly common around here too.

O.k, so I have a few nemisises here in Toronto. They are the owl, the common nighthawk, the Bald Eagle and the Eastern Bluebird. The birds I really want to see that cant nesisarily be seen in Toronto are the Atlantic Puffin, The Greater Roadrunner, the Smooth Billed Ani and a kite.

My nemesis is...a wren. Any or all of them. And now you know why I chose my user name...for luck!

My nemesis is...a wren. Any or all of them. And now you know why I chose my user name...for luck!

I agree.... just started in Spring 2012. Got Indigo Bunting early in my sightings. When did you start birding?

I agree.... just started in Spring 2012. Got Indigo Bunting early in my sightings. When did you start birding?

I just started in mid-August this year. I've actually seen a lot in two months. Including an Indigo Bunting last weekend!

Mine has been and continues to be the Pileated Woodpecker. I believe I've heard them off in the distance but I've yet to see one. Last Fall, as the sun was beginning to set one evening, I thought I caught a glimpse of one leaving the suet feeder (a feeder I made specifically for Pileateds). The sun put it in silhouette as it flew away but I'm almost certain I saw that pterodactyl shaped head. Almost. :wacko: