Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Sad news......

My cat, Misty, died this morning. She was 18-1/2 years old.

She went quickly...looked like she had a heart attack, maybe. She had just been rubbing up against me and I was petting her, then

she started walking away and appeared to have a seizure, falling over on her side. I jumped up and grabbed her, but she died quickly

in my arms.

At least she didn't linger and suffer.

Rest in Peace, Misty.

9786477915_ee5a582a44.jpg

1-Misty...Hummers..Oraville, Colusa 6-18-2013 006 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

I am so sorry for your loss. You have my most heart-felt condolences. I had that happen recently to a cat not even three years old. I was absolutely stunned. Misty had a beautifully long life, though. Most cats never make it to 5 (outdoor cats, anyway).

Thank you, cany. When I lived in Ga. I was out in the country, so she was an indoor/outdoor cat. Feeling as I have for the past several years, however,

if I had it to do over again I would have kept her indoors. She caught her share of mice, rats, and, yes, birds too. Since I moved to Calif. in Dec '03, she

has been strictly an indoor cat. She adapted to it very well, after getting over the trauma of the move, that is!! 

Back in the Spring of this year I started letting her go outside with me at times. I set the boundries of where she was allowed to go, and she respected them very well.

She enjoyed being outside, and would spend most of the time laying in the sun on our patio. I wanted her to be able to enjoy what time she had left as much as possible, and going

out with me is something she looked forward to. I'm glad I let her go out with me. She enjoyed it very much.

• Like 2

Another picture of Leopold. He's so cute sometimes (most of the time).

11368371345_9724ace899_c.jpg

Very nice looking companion, JimBob. I hope y'all have many happy years together. You'll never have a more loyal friend.

• Like 1

Very nice looking companion, JimBob. I hope y'all have many happy years together. You'll never have a more loyal friend.

I'll enjoy him that's for sure! I'm still fighting with my older sister to make sure he doesn't go away with her after she's done with college and moves away (if she does).  :unsure: Pictures don't do his attitude justice. He's a very spunky dog, especially when he's got a toy and he's on the lead. 

My new puppy, Archie...

bIuPUTm.jpg

Well that's just ten tons of cute! Look at those ears:)

• Like 1

Yes, that's what he is! He's our 4th boxer, but two have passed away. We have two boxers and a pug right now. :)

Seal boxer? He's adorable! (I have a friend with a seal boxer too!)

There are too many in the household (rescue) to post, so...

Cats (a few of them): http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyon53ss/8630735082/in/set-72157633193531222/

Dogs (a few of them): http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyon53ss/8596564549/in/set-72157633105941773

You can send me Rascal Girl, thanks! :)

You can send me Rascal Girl, thanks! :)

She's a crack up! She's heading out soon... Will miss her she's so normal.

• Like 1

We just adopted three brother kittens, so I definitely don't need another! But her face is too cute, and I always love the spunky ones!

Yeah, Jacky is the parrotlet of wonder... as in..

I wonder why he does that. He had a feather chewing fest this weekend. Forever going to make me sad since I have NO clue what might have set him off. He goes for periods of nothing, then chew, chew, chew....turns into the battered gray cottonball bird. I wish he'd get better. Unfortunately no birdie psychologists for him to talk to to figure out his mental issues. I guess I should just be happy that he's healthy otherwise.

Folkeye.... I've had quite a number of birds over the years, all but one that I can remember were either rescues or surrenders for either rehabilitation and then finding them a forever home OR in a couple of cases I just became too attached and I became their forever home.

You say you don't know what sets him off.... I'd bet, if you check your moon phases against when Jacky does his worse you'll find the two are a near match with the full moon(s).   I can track ALL the plucker's I've had and line them up with the moon.  I have an African Grey that came to me with nothing but downy fluff from the neck down.  She'd let a few grow then full moon.... off they came.  I started tracking and it seemed like every 3rd or 4th full moon was way worse.  And the full moon closest to either the solstice or the equinox were the absolute worse... POOF! naked bird again!

Did knowing about the full moons help?  Maybe.  I would take care to NOT add any weird 'stress' to her life around those times (silly as it sounds.... she HATES power drills/ ladders/ a certain dust mop I own) I would be sure that she not have to even see those things around the full moon.  It seemed to lessen the severity at which she'd go at herself.  I'd also give her extra more attention, lots of physical comfort etc.... that helped.  

Then, for her.... I literally tripped over the cure.  The yearly phone book showed up on my front porch and I didn't see it as I went out the door and tripped on it.  I was so mad that I unwrapped it and put it on top of the Greys cage and told her she could tear it up. Which she did! So I got her another... and she shredded that one, I drilled a hole in one and hung it in her cage... she shreds that!  In the meanwhile.... she quit shredding herself!  That was 5? years ago we started that and she now has nearly ALL her feathers back.  The exception are her legs, but she even has full flight feathers and a full beautiful red tail!

Will it work or Jacky? I don't know...but it's worth a try.  I haven't taken in any other pluckers since I discovered phone books, but I've told a number of my parrot friends and they have all said it's working for them. 

All these dog photos make me miss mine! Maybe someday soon!

I'm right there with ya Amber.... My Benny has been gone a little more than 2 years and I still can't bring myself to get another.

17 1/2 years he was my shadow.  Sure miss him still.....

[/url] BBD by http://11451838764_2e8581f652_o.jpg BBD by RaptorGurl, on Flickr

My Benny Biker Dog :)

• Like 6

Folkeye.... I've had quite a number of birds over the years, all but one that I can remember were either rescues or surrenders for either rehabilitation and then finding them a forever home OR in a couple of cases I just became too attached and I became their forever home.

You say you don't know what sets him off.... I'd bet, if you check your moon phases against when Jacky does his worse you'll find the two are a near match with the full moon(s).   I can track ALL the plucker's I've had and line them up with the moon.  I have an African Grey that came to me with nothing but downy fluff from the neck down.  She'd let a few grow then full moon.... off they came.  I started tracking and it seemed like every 3rd or 4th full moon was way worse.  And the full moon closest to either the solstice or the equinox were the absolute worse... POOF! naked bird again!

Did knowing about the full moons help?  Maybe.  I would take care to NOT add any weird 'stress' to her life around those times (silly as it sounds.... she HATES power drills/ ladders/ a certain dust mop I own) I would be sure that she not have to even see those things around the full moon.  It seemed to lessen the severity at which she'd go at herself.  I'd also give her extra more attention, lots of physical comfort etc.... that helped.  

Then, for her.... I literally tripped over the cure.  The yearly phone book showed up on my front porch and I didn't see it as I went out the door and tripped on it.  I was so mad that I unwrapped it and put it on top of the Greys cage and told her she could tear it up. Which she did! So I got her another... and she shredded that one, I drilled a hole in one and hung it in her cage... she shreds that!  In the meanwhile.... she quit shredding herself!  That was 5? years ago we started that and she now has nearly ALL her feathers back.  The exception are her legs, but she even has full flight feathers and a full beautiful red tail!

Will it work or Jacky? I don't know...but it's worth a try.  I haven't taken in any other pluckers since I discovered phone books, but I've told a number of my parrot friends and they have all said it's working for them. 

Did I mention Jacky is one smart stubborn bird? If you find the most awesome shredding/preening toy and give it to him he'll ignore it entirely. If the object is meant for him he looks down his beak at it. So when he's out of the cage I'm trying to be sneaky by placing toys he can shred or preen in a place he doesn't associate with 'his' stuff. He's more willing to destroy it if its mine. Sad thing is, if I gave him said object of mine, he'd ignore it. LOL

Hence having a budgie to take up his slack in toys he isn't interested in helps. She's slightly less picky and has enough feathers for both of them! I still threaten to glue some of her molted feathers on him :P

• Like 1

So, all these dog photos got me really wanting another dog. (The house seems empty without one... even with five wild kids running around!)

So I took my 2nd and 3rd daughters today to Decatur Animal Services, and adopted a 14 week old German Shepherd puppy (though I think with her face and ear set that she may be part Border Collie also. The shelter workers called her Zena, and my daughter didn't want us to change her name... so here she is!

1535517_263263163829248_1153164328_n.jpg

• Like 5