Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
JimBob

What camera do you use?

I thought it would be fun to know what all the members use to take pictures of birds! You could share a favorite picture that You've taken with it/them, too. Also if it's a DSLR state the name/mm of the lens.

I use mostly the Canon Powershot sx40 HS. Sometimes I'll use my Mom's Nikon D5100, with a 200mm lens.

One of my MANY favorites with my sx40:

8194019397_f256d368c7_c.jpg

Favorite with the D5100:

med_gallery_17278_4537_98222.jpg

• Like 2

I generally shoot bird with a Canon 7D and an EF 100-400 lens...almost always extended to 400 mm! My favorite-of-the-moment is a Verdin I shot last week in AZ.
20121111-Verdin-TontoNF-24420.jpg

Thought I'd add a new favorite...

20130321-mtnbluebird-378.jpg

• Like 4

I shoot with my "dinosaur" Nikon D70. (It's the one that was submerged in water for three days.) I don't really have a good birding lens yet, my 70-300 is just adequate to get shots for ID purposes, and that's it. For general photography, my 50 mm 1.8 is on the camera the most. My favoritest lens is my macro, though. 105 mm 2.8. I once told my husband I was going to marry it.

I mean, seriously. . .

5294461115_3b6b6d8e3b.jpg

snowflake stack by midgetinvasion, on Flickr

• Like 5

I use a Canon Rebel T3 with either my 55-250mm or 400mm lens. I definitely prefer my 400mm, but I've gotten some nice pictures with the 55-250mm, too!

My favorite with my 55-250mm:

zNOyS.jpg

And two of my favorites with my 400mm:

rqzbe.jpg

CPK4c.jpg

• Like 2

I shoot with my "dinosaur" Nikon D70. (It's the one that was submerged in water for three days.)

My favoritest lens is my macro, though. 105 mm 2.8. I once told my husband I was going to marry it. I mean, seriously. . .

My goodness!

I'm glad your D70 is still working, and..........I see your REALLY like that macro lens! :)

[quote name=Melissa :)' timestamp='1353526177' post='372093]

I use a Canon Rebel T3 with either my 55-250mm or 400mm lens.

You're doing very well with either lens, Melissa.

I also use a Canon 7D with the Canon 100-400mm lens. I'll post just a few of my favorite images, but most of these were actually with my prior body, the humble Canon T1i.

Rufous-capped Warbler with T1i - probably my favorite picture because of the photo quality and the rarity of the bird

IMG_9311.JPG

Canyon Wren with T1i - not perfect, but still like it

IMG_9277.JPG

Hepatic Tanager with T1i

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG

Thick-billed Kingbird with 7D

IMG_2477.JPG

Roseate Spoonbill with 7D

IMG_0570.JPG

• Like 8

I also use a Canon 7D with the Canon 100-400mm lens. I'll post just a few of my favorite images, but most of these were actually with my prior body, the humble Canon T1i.

Rufous-capped Warbler with T1i - probably my favorite picture because of the photo quality and the rarity of the bird

Nice Photos

Great photos everyone! I shoot with a Nikon D70 and a Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro and sometimes an AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5.

Here are some from the D70+Sigma:

6217710079_68bc5cc32a.jpg

7854769268_53672622e2.jpg

And my all time favorite

ZEvsCl.jpg

AF Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5

6198436853_c82def4e77.jpg

And my other camera is a Canon PowerShot SX20. Not great for bird photos, but I use it for landscapes a lot.

8087527166_139a2f22be.jpg

6551871557_a35735856f.jpg

77182505.jpg

52894612.jpg

• Like 8

Liam, your pictures instill a sense of peace inside of me that I cannot explain. My mind is just drifting away to those landscapes, I can smell the pollen in the air, hear the waves, watch as the wind gently blows through the grass alongside that marshy cell, I feel like writing a poem. <3

• Like 2

[quote name=Melissa :)' timestamp='1353722809' post='373183]

Wow Liam, great pictures!!

Liam, your pictures instill a sense of peace inside of me that I cannot explain. My mind is just drifting away to those landscapes, I can smell the pollen in the air, hear the waves, watch as the wind gently blows through the grass alongside that marshy cell.

Thanks!

I feel like writing a poem. <3

I think you just did.

Very nice work, Liam. These show that ability means much more than the gear!

A few 'suggestions'..........

1. The 2nd image, as lovely as it is, could really benefit from some separation of the bird from the BG.

2. The 7th image of the sunset should be straightened!

3. And the 8th image is a tad too dark/contrasty.

The 6th image of the trees and fence is my favourite.

thanks for sharing :)

• Like 1

Why? I like how the horizon isn't level in that shot, it's more artistic!

Very nice work, Liam. These show that ability means much more than the gear!

A few 'suggestions'..........

1. The 2nd image, as lovely as it is, could really benefit from some separation of the bird from the BG.

3. And the 8th image is a tad too dark/contrasty.

The 6th image of the trees and fence is my favourite.

thanks for sharing :)

Thanks for the critique. :)

I did straighten the horizon on the 7th shot, just forgot to post the corrected version.

As for the eighth shot, it's purposely dark and contrasting. A lot of my work is very moody, dark and dramatic (a lot of which I post on my fb page).

• Like 1

About this time last year, I bought a Canon T2i with a 18-55mm, a 55-250mm, and a .45x wide angle w/macro. I have been working hard on learning how to use these and get acceptable results. But, as the year and my activities progressed, I gradually had to acknowledge that I have contracted "lens envy" disease! Although it does astonishingly well, I have really pushed the long distance limits of the 55-250mm. So...a couple weeks ago, I broke down and invested in a 100-400mm lens! I am amazed at how much bigger and heavier this lens is! I think it will take me the entire upcoming year to get really comfortable with it...

July 16th 55-250mm

Nov 23rd 100-400mm

About this time last year, I bought a Canon T2i with a 18-55mm, a 55-250mm, and a .45x wide angle w/macro. I have been working hard on learning how to use these and get acceptable results. But, as the year and my activities progressed, I gradually had to acknowledge that I have contracted "lens envy" disease! Although it does astonishingly well, I have really pushed the long distance limits of the 55-250mm. So...a couple weeks ago, I broke down and invested in a 100-400mm lens! I am amazed at how much bigger and heavier this lens is! I think it will take me the entire upcoming year to get really comfortable with it...

I also started with the 55-250. It is a very good lens for the price point, but I quickly got lens envy too. Good for you to last a year, I broke down after only about 3-4 months before I got the 100-400mm. Yes, it certainly is a lot bigger and heavier. It can literally be a pain in the neck. A few months ago I bought a sling, which has definitely helped (check out Black Rapid or Carryspeed for options). Also, I think the tan line on my neck from the strap has finally disappeared.

It's only been a few months since I got my camera...and yeah, lens envy! Already eyeballing what I might enjoy next. Might see if I can get my hands on the 100-400 to play with. When I had less knowledge of what I was doing than I do now, which isn't saying a lot... I used that lens for just a few shots to see if it made a difference in what I was doing. It did for the most part...still had a few switches on it that I had no freakin' clue what they did...but for being a noob I managed a picture or two that was okay.

RebelT3i w/ 100-400mm lens (Canon)

One thing I noticed (not the best shots of course. Don't remember what my f/stop or ISO was. ISO probably high since there's a lot of grain...but not enough light...) was how precise the depth of field was. Such potential to be so very sharp!

8000987766_2ef6a6361e_z.jpg

Black-capped Chickadee by notrufus, on Flickr

8000987198_6a27219734_z.jpg

Pine Siskins by notrufus, on Flickr

8000985897_125b857acc_z.jpg

Red-breasted Nuthatch by notrufus, on Flickr

But it was heavy, it was drizzling out and I'd need to play with it more!

I use a Canon 5D Mark II with a Canon 75-300 mm lens. Looking at getting the Sigma 150-500mm. Bought my wife the Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lens.

I think the canon gets sharper images, but the FLM of the Nikon provides closer-looking shots. The 5D has a full-size sensor, so no FLM.

Will post some D5100 shots when she lets me play with it for a while.

Some of my work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roguephotoohio/