Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
JimBob

What camera do you use?

If you look at these posts in the 'Bird Photography' forum it will have about all you might need to know, in that price range. The Canon SX50 seems to be a popular option at about $400. now.

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92794-best-cameralens-for-a-novice/

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98974-new-to-birding-need-a-new-camera-which-one/

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95977-need-help-choosing-a-new-camera/

I am looking to buy a new camera for some better close up shots on a budget........... any suggestions for around 500 smackaroonies.???  TY for any help.

I love my Canon sx50- for the price it can't be beat.

• Like 2

I have 2 cameras now

A Sony DHS-H9

And A Sony A230  that a i need a good lens for, 55 it just to short.

A decent Shot with the H9

8778399654_7a44f01933_o.jpg

And a good shot with the A230

8749763184_846704b172_o.jpg

The setup I am using now is Nikon D7000 w/300mm f/4 prime lens, manfrotto 055xdb legs, manfrotto 393 (poor man type gimbal head), kirk enterprise tripod collar, all I need is the 1.4 teleconverter and my poor mans semi-pro bird photography setup will be complete!!

p1706089516-4.jpg

p1858149180-4.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the answers to my post.... I bought the canon SX 50.... having a lot of fun with it thus far. Can I post pics here directly from the memory card or do I need a file sharing page?

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the answers to my post.... I bought the canon SX 50.... having a lot of fun with it thus far. Can I post pics here directly from the memory card or do I need a file sharing page?

You can post to the whatbird gallery, but space is limited. You may want to try Flickr or another photo sharing site. Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Enjoy! Get an extra battery, don't want to run out of juice on the big bird hunt!

• Like 1

A year ago I upgraded to a Nikon 810.  With the high humidity here in this part of Oaxaca I would really like to get hold of the new Nikon 850 which among other things has a much improved weather proofing......

So I've had my setup for awhile, I use a Nikon D7100 with the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens.

Here's a couple examples of how good it can be:

26064631928_8fa4a0e927_h.jpgYellow-headed Blackbird by Christopher Clark, on Flickr

38908630835_1a95d80cd3_h.jpgSnow Bunting by Christopher Clark, on Flickr

I also have a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter that I sometimes use. It tends to isolate the subject from the background a bit more than without it, an effect I particularly enjoy:

28066230369_abdb17b3c3_h.jpgAmerican Robin 2 by Christopher Clark, on Flickr

• Like 1

I use a Nikon B500 wich has up to a 160mm lens or 40x zoom. Even though it doesn’t zoom to like 300mm it’s still really great, here’s is by far my most favorite:

Hawaiian Goose/Nēnē, The Big Island/Hawai’i, June of 2017

img_1812.jpg?w=1440

• Like 1