Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Liam

Whatbird's Young Birders!

This thread is for all of Whatbirds young birders, under 20, to post their sightings and recent events in their birding life and on occasion, other non-birding jazz.

Irrelevant topics are expected.

To all adults on the forum: yes, this is an exclusive club. No offense. :P

• Like 34

Hey, I’m in my second childhood. Does that count?

I've been called immature on a few occasions.

no and no

Does anybody ever read these things?

Yes i do fisherman!

So anyway, I'll just say that I've published four 450+ word articles in my neighborhood newsletter. Just thought I'd share with everybody how awesome I am! :)

Great idea for a thread Liam!

I thought this is what chats for? No older people ever join. :P

Honestly jdeitsch, you think your so awesome but that's your opinion, not ours. But your opinion would be mostly right in my opinion.

Nothing much has happened worthy of mentioning, other then the possibility of going to camp colorado. My local audubon chapter gives scholarships to it, and the guy who decides who it goes too keeps mentioning it to me. . . I hope he gives a scholarship to me!!! :)

• Like 4

I thought this is what chats for? No older people ever join. :P

Honestly jdeitsch, you think your so awesome but that's your opinion, not ours. But your opinion would be mostly right in my opinion.

Nothing much has happened worthy of mentioning, other then the possibility of going to camp colorado. My local audubon chapter gives scholarships to it, and the guy who decides who it goes too keeps mentioning it to me. . . I hope he gives a scholarship to me!!! :)

Well, there are those who are as awesome as me, including you, but nobody beats me on the awsome scale, :);)

Speaking of scholarships, Mr. JD, the GOS is offering a scholarship to Hog Island camp in Maine. If you win the scholarship, you get to go to the camp for free.

See here: http://www.gos.org/grants/parks.html

Maybe in a few years, not quite old enough anyway. ;) . It sounds great though,

Ha! Jimbob would thump us all, maybe you should try a yard or patch competion.

On another note, I thought I would mention one idea I had this past year. For Christmas I took 125 of my pictures, 103 species, give or take one or two, and put them in a photo book. I made two copies and gave one to both sets of grandparents. They really liked them and now if my one Grandma (who lives really close) sees me birding she asks me what I saw.

• Like 5

JimBob would thump us all!

Whatever, we can do a 2013 contest. I'm at 52 (haven't gotten out much since the first few days of the year).

JimBob would thump us all!

Whatever, we can do a 2013 contest. I'm at 52 (haven't gotten out much since the first few days of the year).

52 for what, yard or Michigan?

On another note, I thought I would mention one idea I had this past year. For Christmas I took 125 of my pictures, 103 species, give or take one or two, and put them in a photo book. I made two copies and gave one to both sets of grandparents. They really liked them and now if my one Grandma (who lives really close) sees me birding she asks me what I saw.

I didn't realize you were a "young birder"! ;)

52 for what, yard or Michigan?

Michigan. My year yard list is maybe about 4 (not kidding), with the highlight being a flock of bluebirds.

Lol yes, JimBob would most likely "win", but it'd still be fun. :)

What a great idea! How much did it cost to make them? I'd love to do something similar for my grandparents.

• Like 1

I didn't realize you were a "young birder"! ;)

Where you around when we did the drawing competition? I was in the "under 18" category then.

@ Liam, I just ordered my books off Snapfish, an 8X11 book with twenty pages runs about $25. Sometimes around Christmas they have a "buy one get one free" or even a "buy one get two free" special.

Lol yes, JimBob would most likely "win", but it'd still be fun. :)

Why, ?, I plan to knock him off his throne. ( ;) )
  • Like 1

@ Liam, I just ordered my books off Snapfish, an 8X11 book with twenty pages runs about $25. Sometimes around Christmas they have a "buy one get one free" or even a "buy one get two free" special.

Sweet! I'll have to remember that!

I'll catch up in June! :P

Lol, by that time JimBob's yearlist will be at like, 300.

I'm currently at 81 for the year, all in Georgia

Lol, by that time JimBob's yearlist will be at like, 300.

I'm currently at 81 for the year, all in Georgia

I'm at 63 but I'm going birding Friday so I'll 10 or so, I expect my year list to be around 250, (hopefully)

I did the math, and if I keep going like this my yearlist will be at 2975 at the end of the year. ;) Good luck.

I'm going to be traveling quite a bit, so if you stay in one spot I doubt you'll come close. . . sorry.

• Like 2

I did the math, and if I keep going like this my yearlist will be at 2975 at the end of the year. ;) Good luck.

I'm going to be traveling quite a bit, so if you stay in one spot I doubt you'll come close. . . sorry.

I actually have a bit of travelling planned, all most all in Georgia, except for family trips. But I hope to see Red-cockaded Woodpeckers and Bachman's Sparrows in May (Piedmont NWR). A coast trip in April and other more local trips.