Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Liam

Whatbird's Young Birders!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Traveler said:

You only just got that now? How long have you been birding again? 

 

I I guess im not one to speak though cuz they were my nemesis for the longest time. :P

They're hard to get here on LI. Woodcocks are only seen extremely locally here, so I had to travel to see them. Last year (my first spring) I also thought that they were only found in Jamaica Bay, which is a considerable distance from where I live. I only found out about Stillwell Woods (much closer) about a week or so ago when reports of Woodcocks started coming in from there

 

I also got it for my home county instead of the next one over like Jamaica Bay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Astrobirder said:

They're hard to get here on LI. Woodcocks are only seen extremely locally here, so I had to travel to see them. Last year (my first spring) I also thought that they were only found in Jamaica Bay, which is a considerable distance from where I live. I only found out about Stillwell Woods (much closer) about a week or so ago when reports of Woodcocks started coming in from there

 

I also got it for my home county instead of the next one over like Jamaica Bay

Ah ok, makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

Ah ok, makes sense.

Things are very weird Bird-wise here on the Island, so some easy birds for everyone else will be hard for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Astrobirder said:

Things are very weird Bird-wise here on the Island, so some easy birds for everyone else will be hard for me

Very true, I get woodcock all the time but would die for some of your Long-tailed Ducks and gulls. (*cough Black-headed cough*)

I'm hoping to chase a European Wigeon tomorrow, though! It was found down by the non-existent Great Gray. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

Very true, I get woodcock all the time but would die for some of your Long-tailed Ducks and gulls. (*cough Black-headed cough*)

I'm hoping to chase a European Wigeon tomorrow, though! It was found down by the non-existent Great Gray. 

 

Why are you calling it a non-existent Great Gray?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man... I haven't gotten a yearbird in like a week. Bird festival really tidied that up for me...

Btw, I'm at 214 and haven't left the county

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

You're going to AZ? Have fun!

Do you generally get sick on planes?

Yeah! Thanks!
 

Yep, unfortunately, every time. I used to get car sick but I got over that a while ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, The Traveler said:

Why are you calling it a non-existent Great Gray?

1. I am apparently a little cynical. :mellow:

2. 4-5 serious birders have gone after it, one within 4 hours with no luck. 

3. It was that person's first checklist and they only said it was a Great Grey Owl, instead of giving any field marks. 

4. It would be very rare. 

5. The data reviewer has not approved it and I don't think it ever will be approved. (Rare birds before and after it have been approved so I know the reviewer has deliberately not approved it.) 

This is not sure prove, I readily admit. However in my (possibly wrong and open to change in the face of any hard evidence) opinion I do not believe there ever was a Great Gray Owl there. 

Also I think it will never get passed the local data reviewer.  This person has hardish standards. This Pine Grosbeak was never approved. (Not my checklist) 

https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S28760422

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, John James Audubon said:

Admittedly, "Looked sort of like a big pink scarlet tanager", is not exactly what the eBird reviewers are going for in PIGR reports.

It's meeee    :o

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John James Audubon said:

Yes, it is. Got that guy about 20 minutes before it was eaten. 

Oh [DELETED] nice! What a dream bird, eh?

Edited by jhauser42
Curse deleted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my lifer 280 in my yard today, Rusty Blackbirds, now if only I could find a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker..  lol

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Northern Goshawk just got chased out of my yard by a Kestrel while the entire time a Killdeer was completely freaking out! :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Melierax said:

A Northern Goshawk just got chased out of my yard by a Kestrel while the entire time a Killdeer was completely freaking out! :D

Nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to share my top ten fave and least fave animals!

Here are my top ten fave animals.

1. BIRDS (DUH!)

2. Cats (Started loving them after I read Warriors!)

3. Wolves (They're just so cool and mysterious)

4. Grizzly bears ( On my bucket list)

5. Orcas (Had an awesome and close experience with a resident orca pod on a whale watching trip in 2015)

6. Canada lynxes ( Hope to see one one day)

7. Siberian tigers ( So sad to hear that these beautiful animals are in danger of dying out...)

8. Serval cats (I love those big eared cuties)

9. Snow Leopard ( Such gorgeos big cats)

10. Foxes (Red, fennec, Arctic, and all the rest)

Top Ten Least Fave!

1. Bugs(Ants, mosquitos, flies, fleas, spiders, grasshoppers, locusts, and beetles I hate)

2. Rats (Yeek I wish they were extinct)

3. African Wild Dogs ( Their eating habits are disgusting and make me wanna puke)

4. Snails ( Slimy and yuck!)

5. Sharks ( Sadistic ugly things that kill for no reason)

6. Pigs ( Ugly, enough said)

7. Crocodiles and alligators (Stupid, ugly, sadistic, reptiles that should be exterminated)

8. Warthogs (As ugly and gross as their name applies)

9. House mice (Not as bad as rats but still gross)

10. Slugs and worms (I.Just.Hate.Those.Ugly.Things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Spirit Of BC said:

Top Ten Least Fave!

1. Bugs(spiders, grasshoppers, locusts, and beetles I hate)

2. Rats (Yeek I wish they were extinct!)

3. African Wild Dogs ( Their eating habits are disgusting and make me wanna puke)

4. Snails ( Slimy and yuck!)

5. Sharks ( Sadistic ugly things that kill for no reason)

6. Pigs ( Ugly, enough said)

7. Crocodiles and alligators (Stupid, ugly, sadistic, reptiles that should be exterminated)

8. Warthogs (As ugly and gross as their name applies)

9. House mice (Not as bad as rats but still gross)

10. Slugs and worms (I.Just.Hate.Those.Ugly.Things

1. What?! How can you hate these guys? They're cool! When I was young I would take bugs and put them in spiders' webs and watch them spin silk onto them and eat them.

2. I don't hate rats, I don't love them. Sure they can be annoying, but to say you want them extinct is kinda harsh. 

3. I personally think they're cool.

4. Sure, they might be slimy, but I still think they're cool.

5. Ugh, I'm sorry but it peeves me when people have that attitude towards sharks. Because people have that attitude they kill them for no reason. And the fact people kill them for shark fin soup is horrible.

6. I don't really have an opinion on them.

7. Nah, I think they're cool. What do you think of Caimans?

8. Don't really have an opinion on them.

9. Those can be annoying when they get into your house.

10. Meh, don't hate them, don't love them.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

1. What?! How can you hate these guys? They're cool! When I was young I would take bugs and put them in spiders' webs and watch them spin silk onto them and eat them.

2. I don't hate rats, I don't love them. Sure they can be annoying, but to say you want them extinct is kinda harsh. 

3. I personally think they're cool.

4. Sure, they might be slimy, but I still think they're cool.

5. Ugh, I'm sorry but it peeves me when people have that attitude towards sharks. Because people have that attitude they kill them for no reason. And the fact people kill them for shark fin soup is horrible.

6. I don't really have an opinion on them.

7. Nah, I think they're cool. What do you think of Caimans?

8. Don't really have an opinion on them.

9. Those can be annoying when they get into your house.

10. Meh, don't hate them, don't love them.

 

 

OK, I only like tarantulas, the smaller spiders creep me out.

Actually I kinda like caimens. I mostly hate saltwater crocs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×