Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Liam

Whatbird's Young Birders!

Astrobirder    3422
46 minutes ago, Sean C. said:

Awesome! Nice lists! (1: 3 L 4 YB - 2: 1 L 1 YB)

:lol: Was it really stinky? :P

No, but it was really tiny

jdeitsch    7795

Y'all can see my photos now. 

B)

(I accidentally rated it 3 stars...:wacko:)

• Like 4

Melierax    2704

I'm back from my week long trip to Marysville, Seattle, Coeur d'Alene, and McCall. Trip report coming soon! 

• Like 3

The Traveler    3128

Yesterday when I heard about the Wood Stork I started trying to figure out how to get there. While I'm trying to plan the trip I get a text back from Andrew Don saying he's going, so I drive down to Bronte and carpool with him. We get to Pelee at 7:35, and successfully get the bird; end up getting back home at like 1:30am! Ontario bird 300, and well worth it!

35713930524_ef4babf543.jpgWood Stork 2 by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

36152030640_a45d22969f.jpgWood Stork preening by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

36152026220_643b3d0398.jpgWood Stork by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

• Like 8

egosnell2002    637
4 hours ago, The Traveler said:

Yesterday when I heard about the Wood Stork I started trying to figure out how to get there. While I'm trying to plan the trip I get a text back from Andrew Don saying he's going, so I drive down to Bronte and carpool with him. We get to Pelee at 7:35, and successfully get the bird; end up getting back home at like 1:30am! Ontario bird 300, and well worth it!

35713930524_ef4babf543.jpgWood Stork 2 by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

36152030640_a45d22969f.jpgWood Stork preening by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

36152026220_643b3d0398.jpgWood Stork by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

Triggered

• Like 5

The Traveler    3128
30 minutes ago, egosnell2002 said:

Triggered

Now you know how I feel about all these birds showing up in Toronto when I'm away ;)

But seriously, I'm sorry, that sucks you can't find anyone to go. :(

• Like 1

DavidT    3954

It's been a while since I've updated here, but I've had a bunch of exciting stuff going on lately -- got to meet Saw-Whet09 (who is an excellent birder) and get him a few lifers around Colorado Springs, and in a few days I will be going on a few outings with some other YBs. 

Here's a recent list of mine: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38625465

Also, there are currently SEVEN LITTLE GULLS at a single location in my state. What. is. the. world. coming. to.

• Like 8

jdeitsch    7795

Senior year is starting for me... what with AP Chemistry, Calculus, and Statistics, college apps, and probably an SAT subject test or two, this first semester will be quite taxing and busy so I probably won't be on here much. (Also, I'll be trying to get in as much actual birding as possible.)

I'll try to check in fairly often. :)

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to do some serious birding today, after being pretty house confined since the YBE in early July. During that whole time I went to my very empty patch twice, went out a few times to a nearby park, and dipped on the Red-necked Stint. It was so nice to actually see some stuff today, and practice with my new camera (a 17th birthday present for me!!) The summer doldrums are ending and migration is picking up around here!

Found my target bird, a Solitary Sandpiper, as well as bonus birds Long-billed Dowitcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Yellow Warbler and Warbling Vireo at my first spot. It was cool to see the shorebirds and a nice couple of mixed flocks that just scream FALL MIGRATION!!  My second and third spot were a lot emptier in comparison, but I found some peeps (mostly Western Sandpipers but have a few unIDed ones, forgot my scope) as well as a nice close Kingfisher. 

Photos: 

35802450744_4ae3d938d4_b.jpgSolitary Sandpiper!! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36468002512_e5d096d9ce_b.jpgBlack-throated Gray Warbler by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36467705012_76871b3f83_b.jpgRed-tailed Hawk by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36499130551_09aee77085_b.jpgWarbling Vireo by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

35827924503_904dc2ce3f_b.jpgSolitary Sandpiper!! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

• Like 11

MHallBirder    15

Hey guys! I'm new here.

My name is Matt Hall, I'm a young birder from Pine Island, Minnesota. I joined WhatBird as I saw so many young birders here (I have never met or even talked to a young birder before)! I'm excited to meet you all. If there's anything else you recommend I join other than this, please let me know.

Anyway some more info about me: I've been birding for roughly a year now, have a life list of about 150, but other than that, I don't keep many lists. My spark bird was a Golden-crowned Kinglet in my yard, and is currently my favorite bird!

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, MHallBirder said:

Hey guys! I'm new here.

My name is Matt Hall, I'm a young birder from Pine Island, Minnesota. I joined WhatBird as I saw so many young birders here (I have never met or even talked to a young birder before)! I'm excited to meet you all. If there's anything else you recommend I join other than this, please let me know.

Anyway some more info about me: I've been birding for roughly a year now, have a life list of about 150, but other than that, I don't keep many lists. My spark bird was a Golden-crowned Kinglet in my yard, and is currently my favorite bird!

Hey Matt! Welcome to whatbird!

I'm a 14 year old young birder from Northern VA. How old are you?

Wow, I don't know any young birders from Minnesota. All I really know about that place is the Sax-zim Bog, which looks like an awesome place to bird! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum!

MHallBirder    15
10 minutes ago, Scarlet Teenager said:

Hey Matt! Welcome to whatbird!

I'm a 14 year old young birder from Northern VA. How old are you?

Wow, I don't know any young birders from Minnesota. All I really know about that place is the Sax-zim Bog, which looks like an awesome place to bird! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum!

I'm 15! I really want to go there, but haven't really left SE Minnesota or far SW Wisconsin :(

Really want to see those winter owls 

6 minutes ago, MHallBirder said:

I'm 15! I really want to go there, but haven't really left SE Minnesota or far SW Wisconsin :(

Really want to see those winter owls 

They seem like awesome birds! I think you might be able to see them in SE Minnesota if you check ebird and the local listserv for them.

Do you know what discord is? Lots of birders on here are in a group chat on discord, it's really fun! Would you like an invite to the chat?