Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Liam

Whatbird's Young Birders!

egosnell2002    628
On 8/25/2017 at 3:24 PM, The Traveler said:

Aww, why weren't you able to get it?

Parents didn't want to drive me. Simple as that.

• Sad 1

The Traveler    3116
On August 27, 2017 at 4:49 PM, egosnell2002 said:

Aw, that's sucks, I'm sorry. :( 

I got the report when I was heading up to my cottage. An hour earlier and I would've been at home still. My grandparents were heading home on Monday so they were nice enough to take me in the evening and I went back to my cottage by bus after. Glad I was able to get that bird. If I waited till my family was back from the cottage I wouldn't have gotten it.

• Like 1

Astrobirder    3419
On 8/27/2017 at 4:49 PM, egosnell2002 said:

It happened to me recently involving a Lark Sparrow that was in a parking lot 20 minutes away...

They said I just went to Charleston so lay off the birding for a bit (NEVER)

• Like 2

The Traveler    3116
9 hours ago, Astrobirder said:

It happened to me recently involving a Lark Sparrow that was in a parking lot 20 minutes away...

They said I just went to Charleston so lay off the birding for a bit (NEVER)

#perksofnowhavingmyownlicense :P:D B)

• Like 1

Melierax    2700
3 hours ago, The Traveler said:

#perksofnowhavingmyownlicense :P:D B)

A couple months and I'll have mine too :DB)

I got some nice shore birding in this past weekend when I had to drive up to the olympic coast to take the SAT. Had 12 species in two days, and 12/11 over 1 (still have to get my dowitchers sorted. Not super good at dowitcher ID...) 

Highlights were: a nice Semipalmated Sandpiper close on the same beach where I found one two years ago with a peep flock with Westerns and Leasts, lots of actually good looks at Dowitchers for once, a Marbled Godwit, loads of flyby gulls at sunset which was really fun, Sanderlings which I don't get to see often, my state first Ruddy Turnstone and finally what might be my bird of the day, a super confiding Black-bellied Plover!

Photos:

35995022734_9ef9103783_b.jpgSemipalmated Sandpiper!!! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36829315765_1c54f09f75_b.jpgWestern Sandpiper by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36044780314_8ae0117705_b.jpgMarbled Godwit by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36070447123_61b36659f1_b.jpgCaspian Tern by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36070705474_07f186ef8b_b.jpgDowitcher by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36734440182_50daeb630a_b.jpgRuddy Turnstone! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36070767574_7b1517a191_b.jpgBlack-bellied Plover! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

36070771824_9a9e0d7090_b.jpgBlack-bellied Plover! by Painted bunting123, on Flickr

• Like 9

Paramo_Pipit    27
On 8/28/2017 at 7:52 PM, Astrobirder said:

Speaking of Lark Sparrows, there was one found on Bermuda today. Crazy record for an island with a ton of just insane records. 

• Like 2

Melierax    2700

@Painted bunting123 Woa! Nice shots! I actually got BBPL this year. Super cool bird! Of course my shots are through a scope super far away lol :P . I have yet to get MAGO for this year... common here but I haven't had the time to go to where they hang out. 

Melierax    2700

Western Skink today! Super cool guy. I didn't touch it btw :P Can anyone tell me if these are seen very often in Twin Falls? It seems the range map excludes my area.

p8300126-custom_orig.jpgp8300116-custom_orig.jpg

• Like 3

crazed4birds    617
20 hours ago, Astrobirder said:

One more month...

I'm close too. Getting my permit on October 9.

egosnell2002    628

Well, this don't compare to a Swallow-tailed Gull, but Ig got lifer Marbled Godwit today, a pretty good bird in Ontario. Tomorrow I'm going for a continuing Yellow-crowned Night-heron in my county! It won't be a lifer, but a new bird for Ontario!

• Like 1

JimBob    10204

Year list updates. Depending on whether or not I actually get a significant amount I'll post an update (I got like 3 last time...). 

Melierax    2700

It's harvest and smoke season, when the haze in the air is enough to create a sun filter.

p9040407-custom_orig.jpg

This is purely with my camera just zoomed up... pretty cool! Also, I tried to get the real life color in the photo:

p9040400-custom_orig.jpg

• Like 5