Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Liam

Whatbird's Young Birders!

On 3/27/2018 at 11:24 AM, Melierax said:

Jeaulous here! Went to look for some on Thursday in Central Oregon but couldn’t even find the lek :lol: But I still enjoyed Horned Lark, Mountain Bluebird, and Sagebrush Sparrow lifers. Here’s my checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44102316

And some photos:

Sagebrush Sparrow on Fort Road

Horned Lark at Fort Road

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nicolas Forestell said:

Jeaulous here! Went to look for some on Thursday in Central Oregon but couldn’t even find the lek :lol: But I still enjoyed Horned Lark, Mountain Bluebird, and Sagebrush Sparrow lifers. Here’s my checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44102316

And some photos:

Sagebrush Sparrow on Fort Road

Well I'm jealous of that Sagebrush Sparrow! Never seen one.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 12:31 PM, Melierax said:

Well I'm jealous of that Sagebrush Sparrow! Never seen one.

I’m kind of surprised considering (at least I think) there tons of Sagebrush in Idaho and Sagebrush Sparrow live there. This was the first time I seriously birder in a Sagebrush ecosystem. Maybe I just got lucky and you never did. Good luck in finding one one day!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nicolas Forestell said:

I’m kind of surprised considering (at least I think) there tons of Sagebrush in Idaho and Sagebrush Sparrow live there. This was the first time I seriously birder in a Sagebrush ecosystem. Maybe I just got lucky and you never did. Good luck in finding one one day!

Thanks! I've never really specifically looked for them so hopefully I'll see one this summer. 

EDIT: And yes Idaho is so full of sagebrush my yard is basically sagebrush haha 

• Like 1

Greetings my fellow young birders, semi-long-time no-speak. Got back from Mexico (a while ago), and chased some stuff too. Lifelist is up to 430 now, with #430 being the ABA code 4 Barnacle Goose in Ontario. Birding's been good, and it's finally warming up, although we got an inch and a half of snow this morning...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, egosnell2002 said:

Greetings my fellow young birders, semi-long-time no-speak. Got back from Mexico (a while ago), and chased some stuff too. Lifelist is up to 430 now, with #430 being the ABA code 4 Barnacle Goose in Ontario. Birding's been good, and it's finally warming up, although we got an inch and a half of snow this morning...

Yay, congrats on the lifers! Now you need to update your signature!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MerMaeve said:

Yay, congrats on the lifers! Now you need to update your signature!

2 hours ago, Nicolas Forestell said:

Agreed!

Your wishes have been granted.

• Like 2

Took a nice five mile hike around the Great Swamp Management Area today nothing too crazy, but the birds were nice. 

41283264852_3079e46057_z.jpgEastern Phoebe by Patrick Felker, on Flickr

41283265012_3845102194_z.jpgAmerican Kestrel by Patrick Felker, on Flickr

41283265112_abe02e4c1e_z.jpgSavannah Sparrow by Patrick Felker, on Flickr

41283264942_a5c93a1346_z.jpgWilson's Snipe by Patrick Felker, on Flickr

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S44361621

• Like 5

Hi all, haven't been on in a while (I apologize).

quick update:

Yearlist now at 79 (NRWS today)

My new patch list started last month is now 50 (12 of them in the lat 4 days!!! :D)

Lifelist still 186, but I found lifer PESA in my old photos! ;)  (Yes, I still need SOSP.... :P)

• Like 4

Hey fellow birders

I've not been active on this thread before...but I thought I would brag about a recent trip I took to Costa Rica for a family spring break. I saw 168 species and 102 lifers boosting my life list to 559.

I was also wondering if any of you have been to ABA Camp Avocet before. I'm going this summer.

Photos: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?mediaType=p&region=Costa Rica (CR)&searchField=user&regionCode=CR&includeUnconfirmed=T&userId=USER794894&q=Frank Fabbro

eBird Profile: https://ebird.org/profile/Nzk0ODk0/world

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MNBird said:

Hey fellow birders

I've not been active on this thread before...but I thought I would brag about a recent trip I took to Costa Rica for a family spring break. I saw 168 species and 102 lifers boosting my life list to 559.

I was also wondering if any of you have been to ABA Camp Avocet before. I'm going this summer.

Photos: https://ebird.org/media/catalog?mediaType=p&region=Costa Rica (CR)&searchField=user&regionCode=CR&includeUnconfirmed=T&userId=USER794894&q=Frank Fabbro

Welcome! Awesome profile, I've always wanted to go to Costa Rica. My eBird profile is in my signature, and I guess I'll mention my Mexico trip ;)

I'm from Ontario (Canada, we don't got as many species as the States okay!), My life list is 530, and I've never been to camp avocet before, but I know others on here have. I've heard it's insane, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and get a good number of lifers!

16 hours ago, MNBird said:

Hey fellow birders

Hello!  

Nice and impressive lists.  Why did you accidentally call a dead branch a Northern Potoo? ;):lol::P 

Nope, I have not been to Camp Avocet.  But I hope to once I'm a bit older.  (at least an official "teen")

I am from Michigan, I've been birding for about 4 years now and my life list is 286.  

@egosnell2002 why didn't you post on here with when you made a new blog post?  I an way behind now!

2 hours ago, MerMaeve said:

@egosnell2002 why didn't you post on here with when you made a new blog post? I an way behind now!

Sorry, I've been busy ;)

I'm going to try and finish up Mexico soon, because Pelee is coming up...

Side note, how many of you guys have heard of Point Pelee/Pelee Island? It's in southern Ontario and is the largest funnel point of neotropic migrants in North America, so if you haven't heard of it, study up! Also the number one eBird hotspot for species in the North America, maybe the ABA too.

4 hours ago, egosnell2002 said:

Sorry, I've been busy ;)

I'm going to try and finish up Mexico soon, because Pelee is coming up...

Side note, how many of you guys have heard of Point Pelee/Pelee Island? It's in southern Ontario and is the largest funnel point of neotropic migrants in North America, so if you haven't heard of it, study up! Also the number one eBird hotspot for species in the North America, maybe the ABA too.

I've heard of it but never gone.   Some friends of mine have gone tho.

4 hours ago, egosnell2002 said:

I’ve heard of it, but not as a birding spot

• Like 1