Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
canon eos

Eye contact............

Benjamin's cool flight shot of the Osprey above reminded me of a similar shot I got of an eagle. I almost fell over backwards when it flew overhead while hand holding my 500. This shot is almost full frame, that's how close it came!

Couple of Great Horned Owlets making eye contact with me.

Holy cow! The eagle shot is one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen. Not that all other photos in stream aren't great but that one... Wow.

This has to be my favorite photos that I have ever taken:

He was on the ground beside a Busy Highway feasting on a roadkilled animal. I was able to slowly get within 20 feet of him to sit and take photos for about 45 minutes. :)

Are you kidding me? Not even sure I understand how this picture can be this good. Bravo!

This Red-tailed was a looooonnngg way off across a field. My wife spotted it, so I pulled off the road to take a photo or two. Thank goodness

for my EF 400mm lens!! Took three photos, and they were all identical. Even though we were a long ways off, Mr(s). RT didn't like me stopping

and taking his/her picture. His/her expression says it all!!

1-Red-tailed..Jackson Road 9-23-2013 002 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

EDIT: Just to give an idea of how far away it was, here's the original uncropped photo. Full 400mm lens.

1-Red-tailed..Jackson Road 9-23-2014 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Almost eye-level with one of the resident red-shouldered hawks in my backyard, they know me all to well when I am around...

• Like 3

Both of these shots were taken on June 17th, 2011 at the Cascades Raptor Center in Eugene, Oregon.

This is Dimitri, the resident Eurasian Eagle Owl.

And this is either Anu or Dakini, White-tailed Kites that suffered brain damage from high heat when they were fledglings and therefore cannot survive in the wild.

• Like 1

A Merlin that seemed unconcerned but too a good look at me anyway.. wish he wasn't in the shadow of a branch