Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

I'm not sure what these guys were doing.. territorial fight maybe? They followed each other back and forth for several minutes, but I didn't see any feathers flying.

gallery_11605_2976_27338.jpg

• Like 1

I thought there were only two.

gallery_11605_2976_152677.jpg

What is wrong with this girl?  Maybe just hot?  For a minute I thought she was injured, but she finally flew away.

She looks like Chicken Little: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!" 

gallery_11605_2976_105461.jpg

• Like 1

OMG, I have so many cardinal pics, it's hard to pic one, so here's a few :)  We have tons of cardinals all year long.  I love the way their bright red stands out against the white snow, brown leaves of Winter and the green leaves of Spring.  They are one of the most beautiful birds around!

This first one was on Christmas Day, our first Christmas in Paradise :)

WindyBirds.jpg

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

06302013-18.JPG

• Like 2

I love Cardinals too, were lucky to have so many of them in my area.. cant go anywhere without seeing them.. Sometimes I have a few dozen in the yard.. especially winter.

Plus they are such good posers

• Like 3

I love Cardinals too, were lucky to have so many of them in my area.. cant go anywhere without seeing them.. Sometimes I have a few dozen in the yard.. especially winter.

Wow, beautifully sharp pics!!

very well said, there are a few birds like the Cardinal or the Green Jay, that don't require a handicap, beautiful bird 

Beautiful shots, Jim. I was around eight the last time I saw a Cardinal. One had gotten into our garage in Pittsburgh and my Dad caught it while it was sitting on the window sill where it had been trying to fly out I suppose. He brought it in to the house to show it to us where it promptly escaped. We finally got it back outside, but I do not recall exactly how. :) When I was 16 we moved out to Oregon and we have no Cardinals out here. I seem to recall, but do not know if it is accurate, that their numbers were down a lot back in the 50's and 60's. At least I remember them as being very rare. It sounds like there are quite a few now, so that is great!

Beautiful shots, Jim. I was around eight the last time I saw a Cardinal. One had gotten into our garage in Pittsburgh and my Dad caught it while it was sitting on the window sill where it had been trying to fly out I suppose. He brought it in to the house to show it to us where it promptly escaped. We finally got it back outside, but I do not recall exactly how. :) When I was 16 we moved out to Oregon and we have no Cardinals out here. I seem to recall, but do not know if it is accurate, that their numbers were down a lot back in the 50's and 60's. At least I remember them as being very rare. It sounds like there are quite a few now, so that is great!

Yes no shortage of Cardinals around here, they generally come to the feeders just after sunrise and before sunset... then an occasional visit during the day.. in winter they are out there all day, especially during snow..

The pair I posted are two that live  down by the river at a place I take pics, I bring them and the chickadees sunflower seeds in winter, they see me and follow me all around, if I go in summer and forget the seeds they make me feel guilty singing in the trees above me..   A very brave pair they are, sometimes landing only a few feet away.. Maybe I will stop down tonight to see how they are doing and if any young ones yet