Whatbird Community Board

revyahooti    0

It might be helpful to include common names in bird identifications. For example, I got no matches for "Rufous Sided Towhee". For fifty years I have seen this bird and never heard it called anything else. I hope that is not just a local name no one in the rest of the country has heard of

Bigfoot    4325

It might be helpful to include common names in bird identifications. For example, I got no matches for "Rufous Sided Towhee". For fifty years I have seen this bird and never heard it called anything else. I hope that is not just a local name no one in the rest of the country has heard of

There have been discussions about this, because clearly there are local names for birds.

I cannot say if or when this might become part of iBird Apps, but is under consideration.

Bigfoot

goofy166    62

We call that kind of name AKA names for Also Known As. Turns out there are a pretty good sized number of species with alternative names, often based on geography and history of the common location of the bird's range. We plan to have a secondary named database that for each species contains all its AKA names so your search would have worked. Common names are always changing, this is now the Eastern Towhee and if you search on Google it will pop up with both names but Wikipedia has updated it. If you use the latin name Pipilo erythrophthalmus you'll always find it but who can remember that? :wub:

Mitch

Wren    72

Mitch,

That's why we pay you the big bucks!  ;)

Thanks for all you do to keep us straight!