Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
tbisko

Bolsa Chica Sparrow Help

Date: May

Bolsa Chica (Orange County, CA)

I reviewed the Bolsa Chica Bird checklist (for spring/Summer) and Belding's Savannah Sparrows were abundant, White-crowned were abundant with Song Sparrows being common, and Common Savannah Sparrows being fairly common.  

hRGPbzO.jpg

9SkUKNY.jpg

9s47SVu.jpg

pwiG2Wy.jpg

White crowned are abundant? Now? I think there's an error there somewhere as they have been gone from this area for quite some time. I go there pretty frequently and haven't seen one for ages:)

Anyway, I will warn you I am terrible with sparrows. So don't rest your laurels on my opinion:)

Photo 1: Belding's (striping is heavy and dark, short tail, smallish bill)

Photo 2: Pass

Photo 3: Belding's or Savannah

Photo 4: Pass, but not song... tail is too short.

Those are my guesses.

Edit to add that I rely a lot on Song's vocalizations because I'm terrible at visual differences in some of the sparrows. 

two looks good for Brewer's

I just looked at e-Bird on the Brewer's for this location. There have only been four reports (of one or two birds) since 1994, so I have a feeling that isn't what that bird is. I mean, it COULD be...

Bolsa Chica is extremely heavily used by birders so I would think were they there, someone would have seen them. It seems a little late for any migration?

I dunno. Just putting this out there.

I just looked at e-Bird on the Brewer's for this location. There have only been four reports (of one or two birds) since 1994, so I have a feeling that isn't what that bird is. I mean, it COULD be...

Bolsa Chica is extremely heavily used by birders so I would think were they there, someone would have seen them. It seems a little late for any migration?

I dunno. Just putting this out there.

then it's probably not a Brewer's, maybe a CC, it's just that strong white malar....

CC is Clay-colored ;)  :P

Ya, I know... ;), but I was the first one to read the topic, and I was going to write Clay-coloured for the 2nd one. Then I realized it was in the west, and I reconsidered writing that. Because if it weren't a Clay Coloured, I would look like an idiot  :D . So now that you suggested that, I agree with Clay coloured (CC)  :) .

#2 is very interesting, and my first thought was a Clay-colored Sparrow, which is a very good bird for So Cal.

Any other pictures, especially of the back of the head?

I'd like to see another shot, if available, of no. 2, just for good measure.

#2 being a Clay-colored sparrow  would be an awesome bird for the coast of Southern California at any time of the year. It does look like they winter in the central and southern Baja Peninsula, which matches the Bolsa Chica western location, but this bird would have unlike Bugs Bunny not "made a wrong turn at Albuquerque", it would have had to made a wrong turn on the way to Albuquerque in order to end up at Huntington Beach, CA (Bolsa Chica). Certainly not impossible, but highly improbable in my opinion. However this same location had Reddish Egrets in the winter which I saw and photographed and had verfified as such, so I guess anything is possible, especially since Reddish Egrets also have that central and southern Baja Peninsula thing going on with them as well..

At the same time the practical boring part of me is asking  all sparrow experts what looks like a Clay-colored sparrow but isn't?

According to eBird, Clay-colored has never been recorded at Bolsa Chica (Reddish Egret has recently become a regular species there, though).

IMO, it's a strange Savannah, but I'd still like to see if any more shots, if available.

No streaking below, a classic Clay-colored face pattern, distinct eye-ring? I can't see this as a Savannah. Clay-colored isn't listed on the California review list, and e-bird shows a lot of records for the LA area, including this May.

It's very dark for a Clay-colored, particularly around the loral area, and has a seemingly short tail. Streaking is minimal, but present.

Zooming in, I still don't see streaking, just mussed feathers. I'll grant that the lores do seem a bit dark, but the clean gray nape doesn't fit Savannah, and the mustache stripe doesn't seem thick enough. I don't think we can see the tail length well enough to use it, given the foreshortening at that angle. I'll gladly second the call for additional photos, in any case.

Given the healthy debate on Clay-Colored I won't count it. Thanks for all of the insights.   Unfortunately I didn't have a second photo. I did happen to capture a photo of a Reddish Egret also taken at Bolsa Chica as mentioned previously by DHS Birdman.

RHnue0L.jpg