Whatbird Community Board

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. ID this colorado bird?

What did its bill look like? From this angle, with that light mantle and all that black on its wings, it looks pretty Ring-billy to me.
  3. Sharp-shinned?

Worry not Bird Brain. I think everybody has made wrong calls on these from photos. I sure have! In this case I would have called it a Coop based on the big head (visible in the first and third photo) alone. But got here late so I can just agree with psweet and not risk being wrong again. The other factor here is what psweet called its "bulk." To me this one looks so exceptionally 'bulky' that I think it could be correctly called a Fat Hawk.
  4. Fish Crow by Mike, on Flickr Anhinga by Mike, on Flickr
  5. Lunch

Its dinner time .. American Coot by Mike, on Flickr
  6. Today
  7. Share your 2017 lifers!

Oh man, so many. Most notably the Swallow-tailed Gull from Seattle area. Plus, Varied Thrush, Northwestern Crow, California Gull, Heermann's Gull, Spotted Towhee, Western Screech-Owl, Sagebrush Sparrow, Brewer's Sparrow, California Quail, Steller's Jay, Altamira Oriole, Least Grebe, Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Hooded Oriole, Verdin, Glaucous-winged Gull, Violet-green Swallow, Sage Thrasher, Western Wood-Pewee, Pacific Wren, and Little Gull (today in Alabama).
  8. There were the usual ring-billed gulls around, but this one doesn't have the black band on the bill: photo take in Adams County, Colorado, on October 29
  9. Little Talbot SP, NE FL this morning 171118 lt 019c by Alta Tanner, on Flickr
  10. American White Pelican by Amber Hart, on Flickr
  11. Sharp-shinned?

Sorry I misled you on this. I'll agree with psweet and the others that it's a Cooper. My bad!
  12. which Scoter?

Thanks! Not too common around here.
  13. Sparrow confirmation please

Yup!
  14. which Scoter?

This is a Surf Scoter. The clearest distinguishing factor is the shape of the base of the bill. On Surf, you get this big rectangle outlined with feathers. On White-winged, the feathers extend forwards over much of the upper mandible, so you get a much different shape where the feathers meet the bill.
  15. which Scoter?

meant in include this shot too scoter2 by d--p, on Flickr
  16. which Scoter?

Saw in Littleton, CO today. Thinking White-winged, but Surf have been seen too. white winged scoter by d--p, on Flickr white winged scoter by d--p, on Flickr scoter by d--p, on Flickr
  17. Sharp-shinned?

This looks like a Coop as well. Sharpies have bulging secondaries and their wings looked pushed forwards at the wrists. As a result, the entire wing seems to have a bit of an S-shape. The dark nape isn't much use on a flying bird, I've found. When they're flying, they're looking straight ahead, which would be straight up on a typical perched bird. So the feathers on the crown and nape get squeezed together. I've always found the whole dark vs. light nape to be of most use right at the rear edge of the auriculars - on Coops, they blend into the nape, and on Sharpies there's a nice contrast between the nape and the auriculars. Once you see it, it's hard to mistake. But I wouldn't bother using that on a flying bird -- between the odd angle of the head and the distance you're usually at, it's not much use then. And there's other things to look at on a flying bird.
  18. In Flight

https://flic.kr/p/Y9rjUS
  19. Yesterday
  20. Unknown Bird

Do you eBird? If so attach the file to a checklist, label the sighting as passerine species, and then paste link to checklist here.
  21. What did you see today?

Long-tailed Duck for inland Michigan county is pretty good. Especially when it is incredibly hazy, and rain coming. 3 out of the last 4 years we have had at least one show up.
  22. Sparrow confirmation please

Thank you Bird Nuts!
  23. coot or gallnule

American Coot with the white beak.
  24. coot or gallnule

The two tone makes me think gallinule or a young coot..new jersey delaware coast
  25. Sparrow confirmation please

Confirmed!
  26. Sharp-shinned?

Darn. Thanks all. So a Cooper's has straight leading edges to its wings and a Sharpie has what...points like this guy from this morning? (Sorry, terrible weather for action shots.) But I was pretty sure this was a Cooper's...
  27. What shorebird

Thank you for the explanation. You are correct in that the bill, body, and plumage were matching. The bare breast in several of these as well as a slight size difference threw us off. Thanks! I have to learn where to put my focus....
  28. This bird was seen a couple weeks ago in south-central Montana. We believe it's a Harris's Sparrow, but not positive. Your expert opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
  1. Load more activity