Whatbird.com Community

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Night Owl

Large beaked bird

This photo was taken at Fort Mason Park in Mason County Texas on May 17, 2018. I was creating a checklist and saw a bird perched on a power line at some distance. Thru 10x binos I id'ed as a Dickcissel and took a record shot and continued birding. I looked at the photo last night and was surprised to see what looks like a Grosbeak type with a very large curved bill. Other factors such as a yellow tail do not look like a Dickcissel or any Grosbeaks in my field guides. The photo is highly cropped and lightened some as it was backlit to a degree. Hopefully the photo quality is enough for someone to id.
  4. creeker

Identification Needed! Thank You!

Bushtit.
  5. creeker

Could it be a Canyon Towhee?!?!

The sibley guide shows a juvenile Canyon, but says the difference in California is only the facial pattern. If you live in California, and notice birds at all, you will have seen fledgling Cal Towhees on the ground at some point. I've seen dozens over the years.
  6. Bird Brain

Creeker is probably right. I've seen many Calif. Towhees, but never a young one. I agree, the markings are not consistent with a House Finch, but I didn't know a fledged Calif. Towhee showed that much streaking.
  7. Joseph Vaysman

Photo Attached!
  8. creeker

It's a recently fledged California Towhee.
  9. Toofly

I hear what your saying, but I’m 95% sure this is a towee. Look at the first picture. The bird on the left is a house finch. Their bills are different.
  10. creeker

I'm not seeing a picture.
  11. Snapshotbirder

Welcome to the site! Sadly the photo decided to stay home :/
  12. Bird Photographed at Sepulveda Wildlife Reserve in Southern California. Thanks in Advance!
  13. zoutedrop

Sooty Shearwater

I photographed this bird this past weekend off the coast of San Diego. I think a Sooty Shearwater
  14. Bird Brain

A rather strange looking bird! My first though was a male yellow variant House Finch, with the curved culmen and extensive streaking.
  15. I’ve noticed that my grey squirrels will not eat the hot pepper suet so it works for me
  16. Querula

Mt Lemmon, AZ gnatcatcher

If when you say you saw two, you mean you saw a probable mated pair, and they both look like the one in the photos, then BGGN for sure
  17. zoutedrop

Black Storm-Petrel

taken last weekend off the coast of San Diego I think a Black Storm-Petrel
  18. Green Heron Estero Llano Grande State Park 4-18 Green Heron Estero Llano Grande State Park 4-18 by johnd1964, on Flickr
  19. zoutedrop

Hummingbird

I think a hatch year female
  20. lonestranger

My camera broke!

This should help explain things for you. https://goo.gl/images/ZtfwsL Clicking on the photos after they load will take you to more detailed information on DSLR mirror operation.
  21. Querula

Hummingbird

Anna's Hummingbird
  22. Snapshotbirder

Mt Lemmon, AZ gnatcatcher

OK cool, that's what I put in ebird. Thanks!
  23. Snapshotbirder

Share your best photo of the day!

Rivoli's Hummingbird, Ramsey Canyon, AZ by Christopher Clark, on Flickr
  24. harpoon659

Sandpiper in Ohio

Many thanks to all!
  25. I couldn't decide on which was my favorite, so today it's a two-fer! American Bittern by Fred Durkin, on Flickr Climbing Bear Cub by Fred Durkin, on Flickr
  26. chipperatl

Any Lifers?

Wish it was about 10 miles East of where it was, but couldn't pass this bird up. _91A1340 by chipperatl2, on Flickr
  1. Load more activity